MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, August 16, 2019

Tramping about

Today there as absolutely nothing creative done in my studio.  Instead we spent the afternoon (along with Resident Chef's brother) tramping around in cemeteries searching out long lost relatives.  It was fun, but hot! 

This is one of the more interesting ones we happened across and it was enough to send me off trying to find out more about the Fish Creek battle.


Information courtesy of Wikipedia....

The Battle of Fish Creek (also known as the Battle of Tourond's Coulée ),[4] fought April 24, 1885 at Fish Creek, Saskatchewan, was a major Métis victory over the Canadian forces attempting to quell Louis Riel's North-West Rebellion. Although the reversal was not decisive enough to alter the ultimate outcome of the conflict, it was convincing enough to persuade Major General Frederick Middleton to temporarily halt his advance on Batoche, where the Métis would later make their final stand. 

First we knew that there was  a relative in this battle.


Today's quote..."I'd give up chocolate, but I"m not a quitter"

18 comments:

  1. Hi Maryanne how interesting for you ,it's always fun learning about family history ,glad you had a fun time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been to one of the cemeteries several times but discover someone new every time we go. Wish there were more hours in the day to devote to family research!

      Delete
  2. Wow, hunting old relative stories can be surprising!
    And running a craft booth is tons of work. It looks like some good tips in the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a surprise around every corner when delving into the past, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Family history is fascinating. Prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Indeed it is! Can be very sad too, as evidenced on this tombstone.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting and I learnt a new word too - Metis - Looked that up as I thought it would just be French to find out it was Europeans/French and First Nation people together - forming their own culture, as I understand it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have it right. It was sad to see the inscription on this stone - he died on his 20th birthday, of exposure.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, Mary Anne! It’s amazing to find a relative so far back!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually taken our family back to the early 1700's - it's definitely a work in progress, but fun to discover some of the stories.

      Delete
  6. Reading the inscription (and the discussion in the comments) I realize I know pitiful little about Canadian history. I'd make a guess that most American's (from the USA) know little about Canadian history. Would the same possibly be true of Canadians re: U.S. History?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, when I was in public school we pretty much studied American history, primarily because all our textbooks were printed in the US. There was only a small amount of time devoted to what happened here in Canada. I suspect things might have changed now though....at least I hope so (not to belittle the US!!). That's not to say that I've retained much of what I learned though!!

      Delete
  7. You had a very interesting day. I love visiting old cemeteries and reading beautiful headstones. I am not a quitter either...Yay for Chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interesting poking around old cemeteries looking for long lost relatives. We found quite a few on this particular expedition and introduced BIL to a fun activity too.

      Delete
  8. boy you know how to party!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah hah - well, at least my parties don't involve booze!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the quilt show. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.