MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, August 09, 2019

A new beginning, and a tip (of sorts)

I'll start with the tip...now, don't go getting all excited because it's really nothing all THAT special,  However, most of you know by now that PMS Albatross and I have 'issues' - many issues.  One of them is her infuriating habit of throwing the spool off the holder whenever the spirit moves her.  Maddening to say the least!  So I cast about for something that I could add to the spool spindle to help hold the thread in place.  I didn't want anything too heavy so I hit upon this...

I deconstructed a Gutermann thread spool and got that 'thingie' on the right in the picture.  No idea what it's called!  All you have to do is pry, twist it off the spool and you're left with that funky little piece.

Now you can see it in use.  First is the spool of thread, then the regular disc that's supposed to hold the spool in place, then my little 'thingie' solution.

So far, it seems to be working.  I'm sure PMS is having some sleepless nights trying to figure a way to circumnavigate my solution.  In the meantime I'll bask in finally getting one up on her!




And....you can also use that handy little 'thingie' if you're wanting to use a large cone of thread on your machine - sometimes that little 'thingie' fits perfectly in the end of the cone, making it much more secure on your machine.  

And, here is the beginning of another landscape...


Can't put my hands on the original photo (will
show you later) but it's one of my own and was
taken locally.


Today's quote..."We get so worried about being 'pretty'.  Let's be pretty kind, pretty funny, pretty smart, pretty strong"

28 comments:

  1. LOVE your quote!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, a new rabbit hole! The patchwork ceramic artist.. already ideas racing about, epp combined with templates of found object parts etc. What have you done???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who, moi? Would I EVER let on that my middle name is "Enabler'??? Now, go to it - let's see what you come up with! Can't wait to see.

      Delete
    2. "pretty" funny. I wonder what Boud will find in the dumpster lol

      Delete
    3. I'm sure whatever it is she does is going to be interesting! Glad I was able to provide some inspiration....and now we await developments (no pressure!).

      Delete
  3. The stone runner is nice, but I agree with you. I doubt I'll make one.

    I'd like to be pretty sure of the next time I see a cannoli. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that the stone runner would be great under plants, provided it had a waterproof base beneath it. I won't be testing my theory though!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the thread tip. Your Albatross PMS is wondering how you outsmarted her! I would love to have everyone be “pretty”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure PMS Albatross will have something new up her sleeve before long. Don't know which of us is more stubborn!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your story about your relationship with 'PMS', good solution, and let us know how it works out.
    Your new project composition looks great.
    The link about the art bowl and its process is amazing, the artist has patience and understanding which comes from lots of practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure PMS is pondering what next to throw at me (sometimes quite literally)! I couldn't believe that the bowl was stitched together until I embiggened the photo - amazing.

      Delete
  6. Great next barn! Cheers from BC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's fun to work on a local barn for a change.

      Delete
  7. Your little thingie is genius, if you ask me. lol And I'm so excited to see a new quilt picture beginning. Looks like you've done a lot already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius? More like desperation! Glad you're happy to see a new landscape - I often wonder if people are getting bored with them.

      Delete
  8. Great idea, Mary Anne!
    I’ve also seen it used to store needles.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I've seen that too, but I don't remember to actually do it.

      Delete
  9. You are very clever! I'm not sure I'd want to have to outsmart any of my tools...I'd better stick to simple ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, PMS Albatross and I do battle on a regular basis. So far, touch wood, this little solution has worked (shhhhh....don't say it out loud, she might hear......)

      Delete
  10. I just looked at your links and had to come back to tell you that I've been "working on" a project somewhat similar to the stone runner, but more permanent and way more finicky. Have to laugh at myself here because it never occurred to me to BUY stones - I've been collecting them one by one. I haven't even mentioned this project on my blog because it may be years before I have enough stones to actually begin the construction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collecting stones has far more meaning than just going out and buying them, unless of course you're into instant gratification. Will be interested in seeing your project!

      Delete
  11. the pebble table runner has possibilities with buttons don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh - and heaven knows I HAVE the buttons!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. It falls under the title of desperation. I'm getting tired of PMS Albatross pitching the thread spools off in all directions whenever the spirit moves her.

      Delete
  13. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this barn!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.