MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, August 23, 2019

Mumblings


I have some more done on my latest landscape, but it's not all that different from what you saw last time, so....instead of a picture of what looks like no change, I thought I'd share the zucchini muffin recipe....

ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
2 c. shortening
4 c. white sugar
8 eggs, beaten
4 tsp. vanilla
9 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. cinnamon
10 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. salt
1 c. sour milk 
8-10 c. grated zucchini
TOPPING:  1/2 c. brown sugar + 1 tsp. cinnamon
Combine shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture, along with sour milk and zucchini.  Place in greased muffin tins and top with topping.  Bake at 385 degrees F for 11 minutes or til test done.  Makes 48 large muffins.  NOTE:  milk can be soured with a little lemon juice or you can use buttermilk.

I'm toying with, and pondering over,  and trying to be sensible as I try to decide whether or not to tackle making this....
I've had the Piecemaker's calendar (with pattern) in my stash since, obviously, 2009.  Ten years I've been thinking about it.  But, then my sensible side comes out and I wonder what on earth I would DO with it if I did make it.  We only have one bed in this household and it's already covered.  My boys (and their wives) would turn up their noses at it and there is certainly, most definitely, decidedly, no wall space to hang it.  And then there's the question that IF (big if!) I were to make it would I stick to the black & white theme as shown or go off in a whole 'nother direction and make each block a colour study.  The latter would suite my stash much better because at this point I doubt I would have enough blacks to do it justice (at least not without a lot of repeats throughout).  And then there's the proverbial need/want to reduce my stash....but then.....what would I DO with it!!!  
waffle, waffle.....


And, instead of a quote today, I thought I'd show you this (which came as a revelation to me!!!)...



12 comments:

  1. Great post and thanks for the recipe. The freezer - never knew. Will check that out in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the freezer either. Alas, I can't check it out to see if it works because we don't have that type of freezer.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine making that quilt and putting it on a bed. I too have that calendar. Mostly I just drool over it. I haven't looked at it in a while. Thank you for reminding me that it exists. I will have to pull it out for a fresh look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been drooling over that calendar for ten years - and, unless I do something, I will probably drool over it for ten more. It's either DO it or get rid of it so it doesn't keep taunting me.

      Delete
  3. That's what the ridges are for?!? lol If that' true, I could seriously do without them. They are a pain when placing ice cube trays in there. I have no zucchini at present, but your post today reminds me I've been telling myself we need some blueberry muffins (those I have plenty of in my freezer). It seems a bit cruel that this stage in life that provides me with more time to bake coincides with a season in life where baked goods is about the last thing I should be indulging in. But thanks for the inspiration! I'm still going to make me some blueberry muffins. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I identify with the time vs indulging dilemma. This time of year there are so many good things available at the farmer's market and by the time you put a little bit of everything on your plate, there's a huge mound of food....which goes straight to the mound that's already on my ol' bod! Sigh. But thanks for making me now crave blueberry muffins....

      Delete
  4. I love Zucchini everything and thank you for this recipe. So much wonderful links you have shared once again. My freezer does not have those grooves but interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our freezer doesn't either (our freezer is on the bottom rather than the top), but it would be interesting to know if that idea actually works. I'm a fan of zucchini too - so many things you can do with it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out!!
    Rhonda Dort

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no end to the stuff I keep finding out about why common items are designed as they are. A bit thankless to make great features and have hardly anyone realize why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it astounds me just how much I've gone through life not knowing!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.