MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Further looking back, and yummy soup

I know summer isn't perhaps a time that one's thoughts (and taste buds) turn to hot soup, but something cold certainly hits the spot.  DH is the chief cook in our household and he's  come up with this recipe for Gazpacho Soup.  Mmmmm - it tastes so fresh and lovely on a hot day!  I thought you might like the recipe (there sounds like a lot of ingredients, but it's oh so worth it!)....

JACK's GAZPACHO SOUP

4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet red (or green) pepper, chopped
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped cucumber
2 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
4 c. tomato juice
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
3 T. lemon juice
1/3 c. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
6 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)

Place all ingredients (in batches) into blender and blend to desired consistency.  Chill overnight.  

Further in my looking back series....some of you (most of you, probably) know that I have a 'thing' for working with recycled denim.   These two jackets were ones that I made in 2006.
  The rag style was a one-off and was done for a commission.  


The jacket below was one over over 30 jackets I made in the crazy quilt style and using recycled denim, along with lace and recycled clothing labels.
 
 
Alas, the arthritis in my hands has meant that I have had to pretty much give up my work with denim.  It was certainly fun while it lasted though.


Today the quote is from Anonymous......"What you permit, you promote"

 

6 comments:

  1. Did I read that right? You made 30 denim jackets? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack's Gazpacho soup sound delicious, Mary Anne. We have to sort out a blender! We bought a new machine a few years ago, when my good old Kenwood liquidiser needed replacing, but there are so many parts to the new machine we haven't got to grips with it! Well, I haven't, it's something to do with how sharp the blades look when one has to wash it.

    I love your denim patch jacket and the crazy jacket even more. You obviously have a lot of patience! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a shame that darn arthritis is getting yo make decisions. I know that too. I didn't know you loved denim too! These are lovely and I'm sure the 30 people love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the recycled denim projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time I ate Gazpacho. I was a teen and dating a really cute guy. He took me to meet his grandmother who had just made the soup the night before. I had never eaten cold soup. It was amazing!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mary Anne! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! I simply love your denim jackets, they are fabulous! Thank you for the recipe and for sharing that wonderful link... I popped over to have a look and what a fabulous place to visit! Such beautiful SRE! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.