I know I promised you these pictures last week but for some reason I just didn't manage to find time to get 'er done. So here you go!
This piece was created as the result of a challenge issued by the San Francisco School of Needlework and Design in conjunction with Swarovski Crystals. The theme was under the sea and you could create using any medium, provided you used the crystals that were kindly provided by Swarovski. I applied, and no one was more surprised than I was when I was accepted to join the party!
My creation (of course!!!) HAD to be crazy quilted. I envisioned being inside a sunken ship looking out through the porthole and this is what I came up with...
I challenged myself with this one, not only with the theme, but also with the elements I decided to include. I've never used 3-D crochet before and creating the beaded seahorse separately and attaching at the end was something new to me too. I think my favourite thing is the wee little turtle! I think you can click to embiggen any of the pictures if you'd like to see more details.
There were a large number of participants from all over the world and right now they have an online gallery where you can see them all. It's available HERE (and be sure when you get to the bottom of each page you click on the 'load more' feature so you can see them all!). There are at least ten pages of pictures so be patient and keep clicking at the bottom of each page to get more.
My husband insisted that the piece should be framed so I guess he must like it (even though at first he thought I was nuts to even want to take part).
|Sorry about the glare on the glass!!|
- For those who live in the US - there's a nice free pattern for a cross stitched flag HERE.
- Teeny tiny little bunnies HERE!!! And teeny tiny little chickens HERE. Or a teeny tiny little mouse HERE. Or maybe a teeny tiny little duckie HERE? Or a monkey HERE?
- If you have a bride in your family, perhaps she might like a pretty shawl to wear on her special day?
- There's a really nice knitted doll pattern HERE. You will have to click on the picture links at the top of the page in order to see what she looks like though.
- If you have a little girl in your life I bet she'd love one of THESE (knitted) or THESE (crocheted).
Today your quote is from Dave Barry..."There's nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent"