MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Oh yeah!

Just look at this picture! I figured it out...I installed software all by myself and it worked...oh yeah!! Forgive me, small things and small minds you know. However, you must realize that anything beyond the complete basics with computers is normally beyond me and scares the daylights out of me. I know, the rest of the world is shaking its head thinking that I really ought to get with the program. Before long I'll be writing the programs...

Yesterday was the first quilt guild meeting for the year and I felt totally out of the loop. After five (or was it six) years of being their librarian others have taken over and I got to attend a meeting without a huge amount of work. I didn't know what to do with myself! Several people asked me if it felt weird and I would have to say that would be an understatement. I actually got to leave in time too, which was even more of a shock to my system.

Our speaker this time told us about the Underground Railroad and how quilts were used to assist the runaway slaves to reach freedom. The quilt patterns they used each signified a different instruction to the slaves. Quilts were used because only a few of the slaves could actually read or write and therefore would need visual help opn their way. It was quite normal for people to put quilts out to air anyway, so the slave quilts were not noticed as being unusual. It was a very interesting talk and I felt I learned a lot about those times.

Now I have my camera working again and can post pictures, I guess I had better get busy and take some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.