Here's the tutorial for the jewelry holder if you'd like to make one (or several!) for yourself or to use as gifts. If you do make one, please let me know if any of the directions are not clear.
MAGPIE's JEWELRY HOLDER
- Fabric for outer cover and inner lining, 9”x18”
- Fabric for interior pockets – assorted sizes
- 9” (minimum) zipper
- Lightweight iron-on interfacing
- Quilt batting, 9”x18”
- 2 medium or large dome fasteners
- Plastic canvas, 1”x7”
- 2 buttons, optional
- Ribbon, for ties - approx. 50"
- Bias tape (purchased, or make your own)
- 1 piece each 9x18” of the outer cover, inner lining and quilt bat
- 1 piece 9x7” interior fabric (for lower pocket)
- 1 piece 9x8” interior fabric (for middle pocket)
- 2 pieces 8 ½” x 7” interior fabric (for pocket flaps)
- 1 piece 9x8” interior fabric (for lower zippered pocket)
- 1 piece 9x9” interior fabric (for upper zippered pocket)
- 2 pieces 1” x 24” exterior fabric (for ties)
- BIAS TAPE – long enough to go around entire outside edge of holder – you may used purchased tape or make your own by cutting strips of fabric 1 ½” wide by the length required
ASSEMBLY (NOTE: ¼” seam allowances unless otherwise noted)
1. Fold 9x7” interior lower pocket fabric wrong sides together so measures 9 x 3 ½”. Press fold. Cut piece of iron on interfacing 9x3 ½” and apply to one half. Topstitch along folded edge leaving remaining three sides open. Lightly mark pocket stitching lines 3” inside each edge to create 3 pockets.
1. Fold 9x8” piece of interior middle pocket
fabric in half right sides together to
measure 9x4”. Apply interfacing cut 9x4”
to one half. Stitch long edge, leaving
sides open. Turn and press. Topstitch folded edge. Lightly mark pocket stitching line 4 ½” from
(make 2). Fold 8 ½ x 7” piece of interior fabric right sides together so measures 8 ½ x 3 ½”. Apply 8 ½”x3 ½” interfacing to one half. Round the outer two corners and stitch, leaving an opening for turning. Turn & press. Topstitch all but folded edge.
1. Fold 9x8” piece of interior lower zip pocket fabric right sides together. Press fold. Apply 9”x4” interfacing to one half. Stitch long edge, turn and press.
2. Fold 9x9” piece of interior upper zip pocket fabric wrong sides together. Press fold and apply 9 x 4 ½”interfacing to one half.
3. Apply zipper to the folded edges of each pocket piece by topstitching. Trim extra zipper length as needed (careful – don’t use your good scissors!)
1. Cut plastic canvas 1x7” making sure edges are as smooth as possible.
2. Cut 2 pieces of interior fabric 3 1/2"x2”. Fold in one long edge ½ “ and press. Fold right sides together and stitch raw edges with ½” seam allowance. Clip corners. Turn & press.
3. Insert ends of plastic canvas and stitch in place.
4. Center button on fabric end and stitch in place. Add dome fastener to back. Repeat for other fabric end.
1. Sandwich exterior fabric WRONG side up, batting, and lining fabric RIGHT side up.
2. Align lower pocket and pin in place
3. Align middle pocket with lower edge 2 ½” above the top edge of the lower pocket and using coordinating thread topstitch in place along lower edge.
4. Using coordinating thread stitch pocket lines through all layers.
5. Align pocket flap ¾” above lower pocket and stitch along top edge. Repeat with other flap and stitch above the middle pocket.
6. Center earring holder between lower pocket flap and the middle pocket and apply remaining half of the dome fasteners.
7. Align stitched edge of zipper pocket approximately ¾” above middle pocket flap and stitch along bottom edge.
8. Trim off any excess fabric and batting along top edge. Measure and mark 1 ½” from top corners in both directions. Join marks and trim (or you may round edges if you prefer).
9. Cut two pieces of ribbon for ties – one 28” long and the other 20” long. Center ties with ties lying towards the body of the holder
along top edge and baste in place.
10.Apply bias tape to outside edge by machine, fold over raw edge, and hand stitch in place. NOTE: If making your own bias tape, cut fabric 1 ½” wide and 2” longer than outside measurement of the holder. Fold one edge in 3/8” and press. Stitch around outside of holder, fold over and hand stitch to finish.
- Some of you might find THIS of interest. These days, when we are somewhat reluctant to carry a purse and end up setting it down somewhere to collect possibly germs, maybe having something like this would be a perfect solution. Imagine a matching bag and face mask? Haute Couture Covid-style!
- As I was poking around on the above site, I came across THIS great idea for kids (my grandkids might just get some of these!)
- There's an interesting article HERE about turned edge applique - anything that makes it easier is good!
- Have a peek through the galleries of THIS artist.
Today's quote..."Don't think outside the box, think of what you can do WITH the box"