MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, July 27, 2020

and now, for a change of pace....

I really enjoyed reading the blog post that Ida of 'My Sister Made Me Do It' did where she showed some of the evolutionary process of her sewing studio and that got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, to alleviate all the sameness of the blog here at Chez Magpie, perhaps you might enjoy something similar.  Unfortunately (or maybe quite fortunately depending on your viewpoint!) I don't have pictures of my studio spaces previous to the last house we lived in but here goes...

I'll publish the photos in a small size so as not to overload your
computer.  Please feel free to click to see more details.

L. some of the collection of dolls I had at the time (all made by me) - the drawers held fabric.
M. - more fabric storage on the open shelves
R - this unit held a bunch of different 'stuff'.  Plastic shoeboxes are invaluable!



At that time my studio was in the basement of our house and for some reason I thought purple and green was the way to go.  Now I would NEVER do such a thing but at the time I thought I was quite clever!



L - ironing station and the necessary dehumidifier.  Drawers held assorted stuff
M - I had a plastic folding table I used for sewing on, with display space above
R - This sort of shows the middle of the room - the table was an old kitchen table that
Resident Chef raised up so it was the perfect height for a cutting table.



L - I had two thread holders on the wall, one of which I downsized when wemoved here and now I wish I had it!
M - more display area
R - this cabinet held my bead supplies and more storage in the bottom part (can'tremember what was in there now)

**************

In 2010 I revamped the entire thing because that paint color was too much, even for me!

I will just show you pictures of this part - it's in the same room so the layout was much the same...





I expect this is picture heavy for some of you, so I will stop here and show you a further update on Wednesday.


Today's quote...."It's okay to cry when there's too much on your mind.  The clouds rain when they get too heavy too"

22 comments:

  1. I use clothes pins a lot for freezer bags, and they're just in a drawer. Maybe I'll make a little something more decorative for the side of the freezer so I can abstract pins as I need them instead of scrabbling about among sharp objects in the drawer. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea to me - hunting through and around sharp objects maybe isn't all that safe.

      Delete
  2. Lisa will bring a lot to the magazine. I hate to revamp my sewing room. Since I moved to the new place everything has a new place and I look forever trying to find it, lol.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that moving things isn't always such a good idea. Takes awhile to re-train the brain to find the new location.

      Delete
  3. I love the picture of the kids holding up their weavings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids would have such fun with this for sure.

      Delete
  4. Oh how we miss what we had. Time and circumstances change and we adapt. You are so very clever and talented I think you could create in a shoebox if you had nothing else my friend. It is okay to cry and I have been doing my fair share. Thank you MA for your wonderful self! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do miss what we had but I truly have to believe that what's to come can be better if people just believe and try to think of others.
      As for creating - the drive is there constantly. I don't know what I would do if I was put in a position where I couldn't do something creative every day. Might as well lock me up and throw away the key I think.

      Delete
  5. What a fun post! I think it is really nice to see where people create and it is fun to see the evolution both of the space we work in and in our work itself! Enjoy a wonderful week! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed seeing my (former) creative space. Later in the week I'll show my current space. Just something a little different here at Chez Magpie other than landscapes ALL the time!

      Delete
  6. I always love to take a 'bo-peep' in others' creative space. As a 'cryer', life is always just a tiny bit better after a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing other work spaces too. Maybe I'm just a snoop at heart?!

      Delete
  7. Who knew you could be so creative with clothes pegs? Loved seeing your work space - don't beat yourself up about the purple walls it was very trendy and I bet it made you feel really happy!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the purple walls seemed like such a good idea at the time, particularly when the room was in a windowless part of the basement. I liked it then but would be horrified now!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Well it was definitely functional even tho' the colours were a tad garish!

      Delete
  9. Always love checking out other's happy work nest. Thanks for giving us a peak. Found this blog that reminds me of you. You may already know about her? https://pamspaintbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing other studios too - it's fun to maybe find new ideas for my own. Thank you for the info about the blog - I'm checking it out!

      Delete
  10. We are building a new house and I will have free rein of the unfinished basement. It seems so daunting, but I'm sure I'll fill it up in no time! I'll have to remember not to paint in green and purple...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - you could paint it green and purple if those happen to be your favourite colours! Good luck with the house building and having the fun of designing a brand new creative space.

      Delete
  11. I was so sure I had left a comment here, but I seem to be thinking that too much lately. Don't know if I'm having issues finishing a deed, or if Blogger is the culprit. Anyway... I love seeing pics of other's craft rooms. Always inspiration to be had! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing pictures of craft rooms too - I think I'm just a peeping Thomasina at heart!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.