MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, May 06, 2019

Kinda yeeewwwww....at least the process.

Sometimes my stash just does not yield what I'm searching for (really a surprise because most times it does!).  Anyway....I need some storm-ish looking sky for my next landscape and decided perhaps I could create my own.  I remembered playing around with shaving cream dyeing a number of years ago and thought it might just work for this.  A trip to the dollar store yielded the shaving cream and some more folk art paint.  Alas no 'proper' fabric dye available here OR in my stash.  So I goobered a bunch of shaving cream onto a garbage bag, mixed some paint with some rubbing alcohol and smeared it about on the cream using sponge paintbrushes.  Ever so scientific!!!

Shaving cream, awaiting paint
Forgot to take photo of paint, but this is the fabric lightly pressed down on top

The end result.



Another anonymous quote for you today..."When thinking about life, remember this...no amount of guilt can change the past, and no amount of anxiety can change the future"




18 comments:

  1. That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah - pretty paltry compared to your dyeing prowess!!

      Delete
  2. How very clever and scientific of you, Mary Anne. Your ingenuity always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my original process - found the how to on the internet (altho' I changed it by using the paint I had available).

      Delete
  3. Pretty cool results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how it looks when I apply it in my landscape. Fingers are crossed!

      Delete
  4. At first, my sweet tooth overrode my brain and I thought you had frosted a cake. And then my brain kicked in (better late than never) and I actually read about your shaving cream dyeing. I think it turned out really nice!! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - don't think it would taste very good!

      Delete
  5. Thought you were baking for a minute there! Your frosting/shaving cream process looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to play around with and I might do more at some point. Messy process though!

      Delete
  6. Before I read your post I thought the first pic was of a cake too...LOL I have never heard of the shaving cream technique. Interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen the shaving cream technique online and thought it might be fun to try one day. I actually might have done a small bit of it years ago but the samples were long gone of course. I was pleased with my effort this time but I'm sure I could get better results had I been able to use real fabric dye/paint as opposed to the cheapie acrylic paint from the dollar store!

      Delete
  7. I love your stormy sky fabric you created with $ store shave cream and paint. It looks very authentic. Fun links as always. Oh Dear I need to learn and put into action this quote as it fits so well. Merry Month of May Dear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever would I do without the dollar store! We *only* have four of them here.

      Delete
  8. So are you happy with the outcome? It looks awesome to me! :) What a fun activity - I should try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of this moment I'm happy with it - although I do think I could do with some further experimentation to see if I can control the results a little more. I agree that it was fun though!!

      Delete
  9. Wow Mary Anne what great results and it looks like a lot of fun to play with!! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely fun to do and I imagine I'll be doing more at some point. It's a tad messy though!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.