MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, January 14, 2019

Remember that quilt?

Well, it's not done yet!  Seven atc's seemed to manage to get made out of it too.  

Do you suppose there might be anything else?

I haven't talked about books here for quite awhile, but I've just finished reading two that I thought were worth sharing.  Most of you will remember having seen the famous photograph taken during the Vietnam war of the little naked girl running in the road after having been horribly burned by a napalm bomb.  Kim Phuc was that little girl and she has written the story of her life in a book called 'Fire Road'.  My friend and I went to hear her speak just before Christmas and she has had an incredible life.  She's an amazing speaker and her book is one I highly recommend that you read.  ('Fire Road - A Memoir of Hope' by Kim Phuc Phan Thi, ISBN 978-1-4964-2429-7, c 2017).  

The other book is fiction, but written in a very factual way.  It's the story of Alice who, at 50, was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.  Her story of her gradual descent into the disease is at times hard to read (probably, in my case, because both my mother, my mother-in-law, and a  sister-in-law  had the disease, and currently one of our friends is dealing with it) but gives you a good insight into the gradual decline that the disease causes.  ('Still Alice' by Lisa Genova ISBN 978-1-5011-064-2, c2009).

Today, a quote by Albert Einstein..."Creativity is seeing what everyone else has seen, and thinking what no one else has thought"



20 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Oh my... you certainly have been working your backside off! I can hardly wait to see them in real life.
    Susie Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..and.....my backside could certainly use it!!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work
    Reading slows when I sew. Its good to have book recommendations.
    Scrap fabric link is fantastic! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when bloggers do book reviews because I've discovered some really good authors that way. And you're welcome for the scrap link - there's some really good ideas there, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Very nice ATC's. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with them now, but at least they store in a much smaller area!

      Delete
  4. ATCs and next may come inchies! You are the Master of using every bit of your cutter quilt. I love equi’s and someday I must make myself one. Maybe you have just enough quilt scraps to make some cuff bracelets?! You are such an inspiration dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, drat! I didn't think of inchies!! I actually threw some of the quilt away and I COULD have made inchies (and some half-inchies too, I'm sure!).

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Mary Anne! You have certainly had a lot of fun with that quilt!! Hope you are keeping nice and warm! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warmed up here again so not as bitterly cold as earlier in the week. The quilt has been used up now and only ended up with a few tiny scraps to dispose of. Yay!

      Delete
  6. Great work, kind of like little crazy quilts.
    Thanks for the inspiration links and the quote is a good one.
    Seeing what others miss, looking for hidden treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Janie - they are similar to little CQ's when you come to think of it!

      Delete
  7. Loving all your repurposing ... with the old quilt. Great ideas :)
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I love that I'm using it up and making it into things that are stored in a smaller space and will also serve as little gifts throughout the year. Definitely a win/win!

      Delete
  8. Your ATC's are cute! And thank you for the book reviews. I read Still Alice several years ago (found it fascinating and thought provoking - and often think of it still as I'm currently working with an elderly woman who has mild dementia). I just found Fire Road as an audio book on Hoopla, so I favorited it for "reading" later. Okay... I have no idea what etui's are, so going now to check out your links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! Glad you liked the book reviews too - I love when bloggers review something they've enjoyed reading and I've found a number of good new-to-me authors that way. Kim Phuc has had an incredible life (and continues to do so) - she's an amazing woman and it is a hugely interesting book to read.

      Delete
  9. Clicking on the links I realize I HAVE seen etui's (have you linked to them before?) My favorite is definitely the one with the little tea cup pin cushion. :) I don't think I'd seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite is the one with the tea cup too - partly because I've always been fascinated with miniatures and that one reminds me of those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two excellent books there. I saw a documentary many years ago on the life of Kim Phuc which was astounding. The photo of her on the tv/newspaper cover running away, down the road was seen all around the world.. How fabulous you were able to hear her speak. Love the scrap link; so many cute things there which should make a little dent on the scrap stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim is an amazing person - her story certainly tugs at your heart, and her talk was so inspiring. Most of us would have nowhere near her strength. I would definitely go and hear her again if I ever get a chance.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.