MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, August 20, 2018

George Washington ain't got nuttin' on me!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep - he chopped down cherry trees and I lob off lilacs!  

After doing tons (!) of French knots to highlight/create the lilacs on the bush, I decided that the foliage needed to be augmented too.  So...I came up with a grande plan.  You know....one of THOSE plans that are bound to go amuck....and this one did, spectacularly!!!  The plan involved felting the greenery which I thought would be a good foil for the French knots.  The search began for green wool and I lucked out and found a couple of balls of 'almost green' at the local department store.  No problem, said I to self, I can simply water down some paint and dye it!! W-e-l-l, that sorta worked.  Undaunted, I soldiered on (see that?? Another reference to good ol' George!!).  I felted it down and, wonder of wonders, I only broke two felting needles and punctured my finger once.  I was on a roll!

Hmmm....all that felted yarn needed to be held down somehow, so how about free motioning with green thread?  The roll continued (and you KNOW already that the roll was right straight downhill, don't you).  

I sat back and stared at it.  I waited until night and stared at it some more.  And, you guessed it, I HATED it.  Abhorred it actually.  So...undaunted (and refusing to admit defeat)....I hauled out my paint and dabbed it here and there.

Sat back and stared some more.  

Well, suffice to say the scissors were applied and with good ol' George's approval, I just cut that lilac tree right outta there.  


Never let it be said that your intrepid blogger fears showing you her failures.  

And before you all think that you should leave a comment telling me that it looks wonderful, I know better.  Remember, your momma taught you not to lie.  

Oh, and just so you don't think I wasted all that time and effort....I now have the base for a postcard and three atc's.  Waste not, want not. 
 

Today's quote..."Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.  Maybe it's about unbecoming everything that isn't really you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place"

10 comments:

  1. Now that bookcase idea reminds me of the spare self stick castors I have and the bookcase of recipe books in the kitchen..thank you!

    Hilarious account of the ill fated lilac bush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrrrrgh! I couldn’t see anything wrong with it! Really! But I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, we are our own worst/hardest critics!!!
    Love, love, love the quilted suitcase, and in fact I’ve had a little quilted something along these lines hiding in the Dreaded Cupboard for as long as I’ve been blogging. So I must go back to the link and see what she was using to keep everything firm ..... I guess it was Peltex!
    Well I look forward to seeing your ATC’s and postcard.
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No!! Don't tell me you have dug out the lilac bush!!!! I don't know if I will ever be able to talk to you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I agree with you on the bush. Now I am just wondering what you will do to replace it. At least you will be able to save all that work for other projects. ALL THOSE FRENCH KNOTS!!! :(
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely gardening project! I approve. Its coming fall anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's how projects go sometimes, a step or two forward, take five back.
    I sewed a binding onto one of my quilts and guess what?
    It didn't look right. So I was brave and unpicked the binding and took it off.
    I sewed a lighter color binding onto that quilt and now it looks great.
    Was all that work worth it, you betcha!
    Thanks for sharing. Good quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess you had to be there, because in the picture it looks fine? And so, life goes on to still become something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say that it doesn't look all that bad, but I know from my own experience when you have an idea of what you want something to look like in your head and it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to, either it will be fantastically better or a failure. Think of all the practice you got making all those French knots - bet you're an expert now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always do scare me with your cutouts yet you always improve your work and you make the best of the “scraps”. Fun links and great quote. Love your lilacs! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.