MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, January 04, 2023

You can't hide from me!~!

 In my ongoing quest to use as much stash as I possibly can - and because I feel sorry for Resident Chef's feeling cold when there's an east wind making its way around the cracks in our balcony door - I am doing a stash dive and unearthing bits and bobs of worsted weight-ish yarns to make another mile-a-minute afghan.  Some of you might remember me making several of them for adding to the Christmas box several years ago.  Actually, I just looked and it was 2021 and while I was at it I found a photo of one I completed then...


Resident Chef's will be quite similar to this one but will be dependent on whatever I can unearth in my stash.  It appears I need approx. 17 strips - wonder if my stash is such that I'll make it?

- I'm not sure that I would ever tackle making THIS but it sure is pretty!

- For those of you who have promised yourself (notice, I didn't say that nasty word 'resolution') and want to declutter, perhaps THIS might be of interest.

- The quilters among you might find THIS chart something handy to have.

Today's quote is from Mike Rowe..."Work ethic is important because, unlike intelligence, athleticism, charisma, or any other natural attribute, it's a choice"



20 comments:

  1. I wonder if the afghan can be applied around the drafty window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already have a doubled layer of heavy curtains that we pull across the door but it's still chilly. He feels the cold more now than he used to so I know he will appreciate an afghan to pull over his legs.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a super way to use up your yarns--I have an Under-the-bed-box FULL of sport weight yarns that I used to love--perhaps this type of afghan would be a way to use it up--or I may have to just donate it--but even though it is hidden from view--deep in my mind I KNOW it is there languishing--waiting to be used...weighing heavy on my mind...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that blanket. I would never have thought of such a dark colour and yet it absolutely works! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using the dark colour esp. if the blanket is for a man...plus I think it makes the colours in the strips pop. Resident Chef is anxiously awaiting his finished afghan!

      Delete
  4. Happy Blessed New Year:
    It really is a beautiful afghan, the colors with black are perfect.
    I wish I knew how to crochet and knit.
    We used to have a drafty patio door had to get a new one but did put up plastic on the inside of the house to keep the cold out it worked well, I hope you have warmer weather soon, it has been snowing here for two days we now have two feet of snow.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well! We would put plastic over the door but we use it on a daily basis to get out to feed the birds. We do have a double-layer curtain that we pull across but the draft still seems to get in.

      Delete
  5. I have spent most of the past fall using up bits and bobs from my stash (man do I have lots, I think I am a yarn hoarder) to make what I call Bits and Bobs Knitted Blankets. Slowly but surely clearing things out a bit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm doing too Jackie - it's amazing how much 'stuff' I've managed to squirrel away in my sewing room and I know I need to use it before I succumb to the song of something shiny and new.

      Delete
  6. Can you buy draught seal strips where you live, MA? They are thin strips of foam with a sticky back and can be placed where the draught is coming through. Also will save heating loss and energy bills by sorting out the draught. However, having such a lovely crocheted blanket over the knees is cosy. Ha, I've just realised that the spelling is different in the UK ... draft / draught. :-)
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've already sealed the door with the thickest draft/draught (hah) strips we can buy. The building is made of cement blocks and the new door they installed just doesn't fit the hole properly. Luckily the new windows are great so that kind of makes up for it. RC's chair sits pretty much right beside the door so he feels the chill. Thanks for the suggestion though!

      Delete
  7. thanks for the decluttering link, I need to tackle a few things around our house, so have signed up for their newsletter and we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decluttering is an ongoing 'thing' here at Chez Magpie and it doesn't seem as though I'm winning. I swear it multiplies overnight!

      Delete
  8. I am sure you will succeed in making one from your stash Mary Anne and I look forward to seeing it! It's for a very good cause! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's for a good cause too - anything to keep my beloved warm!

      Delete
  9. Oh I love that crochet blanket... might have to put that on the one day list! Thanks for sharing the link :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - glad you saw something in the links you like!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the reference chart for quilt squares.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.