MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Sunday, January 09, 2022

A story - with several chapters

 A DISCOURSE ON BOAT ANCHORS

by Frustrated

Chapter One (or is it Chapter Seven?)

The scene opens upon your invaluable Correspondent standing inside the apartment door with new cell phone in hand.  She turns...and spies old cell phone sitting dejectedly upon the bench inside the door.  Your Correspondent feels sorry for the poor thing and scoops it up, putting it in her pocket, saying to herself that maybe, just maybe, the new cell phone might not work when she arrives at the grocery store for her curb-side pickup.

Chapter Two

The scene then changes to the parking lot of a nameless grocery store.  It's cold.  Your ever-optimistic Correspondent opens New Cell Phone and, after a rather lengthy amount of fumbling, managed to call the store.  

Chapter Three

"Oh, oh' said your Correspondent as she peered hopefully at New Cell Phone in complete mystification over how to manage to dial the '6' the store required to get from the main phone to the curb-side pick up option.  'Hmmm'....said Correspondent.  'Nah, nah, nah' said New Cell Phone, accompanied by noises much resembling 'P on you'.  Back to the beginning, while simultaneously turning on Old Cell Phone, and Correspondent began the process again, only to be thwarted once more.  Accompanied by words from said Correspondent that were entirely unbecoming to a lady. And a sincere wish for a copy of the lengthy tome - 'Cell Phones For Dummies'.  

Chapter Four

Said Correspondent, in a complete fit of pique, throws down New Cell Phone in complete disgust and uses Old Cell Phone (nice cell phone, good cell phone....) to arrive at proper area of Grocery Store list of options.

Chapter Five

Groceries appear, get loaded into car, and off goes your Correspondent and her Resident Chef towards home where New Cell Phone is in yet another time out - and might never be used to collect groceries ever again.  In the meantime, please just call me 'Two Phone McGraw'.  

THE END

16 comments:

  1. Arghg. Is all I can say. It shouldn't be this hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have claimed to have a tech-minded brain and this is just another in a long list of challenges. This too I will overcome - I think.

      Delete
  2. :~) Some of us just don't like change! I am sure you and New Phone will someday be on friendlier terms. You know "they" track us everywhere we go. "They" think my hubby stays in his chair all day and all night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not holding out a lot of hope over being overly friendly with the New Phone, when you consider I never did get comfortable with my old flip one I've had for years. I used it maybe once a month if that and I don't foresee anything different with this new one. If it weren't for having to show that vaccination code I wouldn't be trying to switch.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear! At least you managed to get the groceries! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would sort of defeat the purpose of using curb side pick up if I ended up having to go into the store to let them know I'm there. The phone provider very nicely sent me a PDF of the manual for the New Phone - over 200 pages to plow through just to figure one little thing out!!! Yikes.

      Delete
  4. So funny! But how does the old phone still work. We are only allowed one phone connected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two different providers - Virgin Mobile for the old phone and Public Mobile for the new one. Virgin Mobile refused to allow me to change over to a new phone with them without giving them my Social Insurance Number - something that it's against the law to request (unless you are the government OR it's needed for employee records...ie income tax). So, because I have over $400 on the Virgin Mobile account I figured I might as well just let it run out and Resident Chef can carry the old phone for emergencies.

      Delete
  5. Two,
    Embrace the new like a puppie. It will not slobber on you nor eat the last chicken nugget.
    Wishing you easier shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd a whole lot sooner have a puppy - Golden Retriever, please. Puppy slobber is a good thing!

      Delete
  6. I think that sometimes the powers that be try to make a phone as complicated as possible.

    Thanks for the giggles.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything involving technology is overly complicated as far as I'm concerned. Wish I knew an 8 year old so they can show me!!

      Delete
  7. Is there is an icon to display the keypad on the screen while you are making the call? When I'll be doing calls that involve menus, I hit that as soon as I hear the dialing start. Wouldn't getting a new phone number would be more frustrating than the new phone???? Or will you be swapping the old number to the new phone when the VM account runs out?

    As far as using all the phone can do, I don't use most of it's capabilities. Partly because I don't want to get too many nosy apps, also I don't need most of that stuff. So no games, no social media stuff (all is disabled), etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip! I will see if there might be some sort of icon and test it out.
      As for getting a new phone number vs the old one - we use our land line for all calls and the only people that have my cell phone number are the immediate family members. And telemarketers of course! It's not turned on unless there is need to use it. The new phone will be the same. Emergencies only - and curb side grocery pick ups. There's nothing 'extra' loaded onto it beyond what I absolutely need in order to put the vaccine code onto it. Cheapest plan, cheapest phone. As for the old phone - it won't run out of time for about 3 years so it will still be useable unless I cancel it altogether. Once it runs out of banked time, I'll get rid of it.

      Delete
  8. I just got a new cell phone too. My first cell phone ever. My 11 year old granddaughter showed me how to use it. Still no idea what all the itty bitty icons that show up in one corner are??? I think I need a refresher course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had two flip phones but this is the first 'smart' phone (and I use the term 'smart' VERY loosely!). I agree that there's too many mysterious icons, most of which I'm afraid to touch!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.