MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Check -

 Yep, place a check mark beside another completed project.  This is a shawl created for a person who uses a wheelchair....just something to tuck around the shoulders for additional warmth and (theoretically at least) it's supposed to stay in place...


A close-up to show the pattern detail....


Pattern is THIS one and I used Caron Jumbo yarn.  The colorway is perfect but I'm not 100% sold on the softness of the yarn.  This one might just end up being a do-over project.  




- Some of us have an old glass coffee pot lurking about in a cupboard somewhere and perhaps using it to make one of THESE might be fun?

- If you, or someone you know, is into decorating for Halloween, making one (or more) of THESE might be on your list.

-THIS is cute for fall.

- If you have an old dresser perhaps some of THESE  revamping ideas will catch your eye.  

Today's quote is from Robert Holden..."Beware of destination addition, a preoccupation with the idea that happiness is in the next place, the next job, and the next partner.  Until you give up the idea that happiness is somewhere else, it will never be where you are"

18 comments:

  1. That's a good quotation about living in the moment, wanting what you have.

    My experience of taking care of someone who used a wheelchair is also that anything to keep the back of the legs warm is great. I used to upcycle wool sweater sleeves for leg warmers. Very well received. His doctor passed on the idea to other patients, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea re the sweater sleeves! I don't think my friend would go for that look though - she's always been a fashionista and very fussy about what she wears. I'd like to make her a fleece blanket for around her legs but finding the appropriate fabric is in question.

      Delete
    2. They're worn under the blanket. Because blankets don't cover the back of the legs without drafts.

      Delete
    3. Ah - okay, I hadn't thought of that. Still not sure she would be willing though.

      Delete
  2. Happingess is where I am in life, but I'm happier when I'm physically with my grandsons. Such a thoughtful gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we prize happiness far more now than we probably ever did. The moments we have with family are so precious.

      Delete
  3. The shawl looks so pretty. Would a button or two hold the shawl in place? A good selection of links. The coffee pot looks fantastic. I agree with the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've test fitted the shawl and I think it will stay in place quite nicely especially when she's remaining seated in her chair. Hopefully anyway.

      Delete
  4. This is definitely one of the times I wish I knew how to crochet. Oh, my, heart. I love those Acorn hot pads.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very simple pattern so perhaps you could find someone to teach you? I learned from books so I'm sure there are good instructional videos online too.

      Delete
  5. My mother used to say that the only things we can take with us when we leave this world are the things we have given away. You are going to have a heavy load for sure! The scarf looks perfect to me… so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh - I goofed when I called it a scarf - it's actually a shawl (must correct that!). I love to create things but once they're complete I'm more than happy to get rid of them. It's very rare that I keep anything for myself.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, the quote is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shawl Mary Anne I hope you don't decide you have to make it again! I loved the coffee pot terrarium what a great idea! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with the shawl pattern, but the yarn not so much. To me it feels rather stiff and not cuddly as I had hoped. I love the terrarium idea too - would look really cute in a kitchen I think.

      Delete
  8. It sure turned out pretty! Someone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope someone likes it too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.