MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Two 'nothers

 Over the weekend I finished off another of the projects I had begun pre-cataract surgeries and this will also be added to the Christmas box.  This is a crocheted mile-a-minute design that is very simple and uses up some stash.  Unfortunately the stash didn't extend to enough colours SOOOO....what's a girl to do but order more?  And then THAT set of circumstances leads to having to use up THAT additional stash...so...I've started another of these, only with black as the main colour.  In the meantime, here's the first one...


and here is a closeup...



Here is another recipe we just discovered and love ... it's courtesy of the May 2021 issue of the Food Network Magazine...

GINGER-MANGO "NICE" CREAM

Freeze 2 sliced bananas and 1 diced mango until firm, at least 4 hours. Puree in a food processor with 3 T. agave syrup (we use maple syrup), 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger and a pinch of salt until thick and smooth.  Transfer to a small baking dish and freeze until firm.  

=================================================

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - For those of you who follow my blog via email, you no doubt are aware that FeedBurner is going away and now there's a mad scramble to find a replacement.  There's a good alternative that you can read about in THIS blog post.  AND...another suggestion....you might consider signing up for INOREADER which is a free service.  It's what I use and where I follow all the blogs I like.  

=========================================

Today's quote..."Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.  If you aren't being treated with love and respect, check your price tag.  Maybe you've marked yourself down.  It's YOU who tells people what your worth is.  Get off the clearance rack and get behind the glass where they keep the valuables"


22 comments:

  1. I really love that mile a minute crochet you've been working on. So pretty nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second mile a minute is virtually the same only I'm replacing the ivory 'borders' with black. Might regret that when it comes time to put it together!

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary Anne, thank you again for the linkies - always look forward to them!
    I wonder why the photos of those denim bags with words are obviously in reverse - ha, they probably all are, but how strange - and why!
    Seeing the tea cosy reminded me that recently I saw someone had crocheted a little teapot as a pincushion. Really sweet!
    So good to have you back.
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the links Val - they're fun to accumulate and share. I hadn't noticed the reversal of the words on the denim bags but will have to go back and have another look.

      Delete
  3. Your crochet blanket is lovely. The pattern is great, as are all the rows of happy colour. I did smile when I read that you just had to buy more yarn. Thank you for the links re the email situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems a use-it-up project quite often leads to having to buy more, which just ends up creating more stash. It's a plague I tell you. Hopefully the link re the email thing will help someone.

      Delete
  4. I drink my pot of tea too fast to need a cosy to keep it warm. I remember the smell of my mom's teacosy, though, years of brews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Resident Chef like your tea hot - I have to wait a bit or I end up burning my mouth. We're mug tea drinkers because often he wants regular tea and I want flavoured.

      Delete
  5. I like your afghan and remember my Grandma making these to use up lots of small balls of yarn. Yum to the recipe...thank you. Very good quote...reduced vs valuables! Windy and sunny here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mile-a-minute patterns have been around for ages, but I think there are some newer variations out there. I like this one because it's pretty mindless.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the denim link. Found the cutest baby bib for my future great grandson that's destined to be a farmer and horse lover. Thanks for today's saying. I needed that with today's politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - glad you found something in one of the links that you like! And that you enjoyed the quote.

      Delete
  7. Yum -- we'll be trying the nice cream tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! It tastes so fresh although the texture is slightly different than actual ice cream. It's most definitely healthier!

      Delete
  8. The wildflowers in the banner are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - glad to know you like them.

      Delete
  9. I love the colors of your Mile-a-Minute blanket. And that tea cozy is cute as a button. Almost makes me want to go buy a teapot just to put something so cute over. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a teapot but it's mainly just taking up space in the cupboard. Got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and I don't think it's made even one cup of tea yet. We drink ours in mugs. As for the blanket, I'm well underway on a second one, simply because they're fun, quick, and I had to use up the additional stash I had to buy to finish the first one. Toying now with making two more to add to the Christmas box.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful crochet project Mary Anne and that 'nice' cream recipe sounds delicious! Have a lovely weekend! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the crochet afghan enough that I promptly started another one - and am contemplating two more. And yes the 'nice' cream IS indeed good!

      Delete
  11. I've been seeing a lot of these blankets as I roam the interwebs. Eventually I'll need to break down and make one myself. It looks like it is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am having fun with these blankets - I like the using up of scraps aspect (altho' that does backfire when you end up having to order more simply to augment your color selections!).

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.