MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Another finish and a recipe

 Today I have a couple of things to share with you.  First up is that I've finished the latest landscape (well, all but the label!). The photos are pretty awful because we're in a period of dull rainy days here, but you can get the general idea I'm sure.


Above is the original photo, shared with the kind permission of Dale Stewart (thank you!), and is of the Uneeda School near Paradise Valley in Alberta.  Below is what I created using his photo as inspiration...

FOR SALE!




And this is a closeup of some of the embroidery and the border detail







And, because I haven't given you a recipe lately, how about this one?  It's one of my favourites that come out of Resident Chef's kitchen...

POPOVERS

2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a standard muffin pan & set aside.  Beat eggs until creamy and add remaining ingredients.  Beat until smooth. Note: the batter will be thin!  Fill each muffin cup half full with batter.  Bake for 35 mins.  


Today's quote..."Your terrible job is the dream of the unemployed.  Your house is the dream of the homeless.  Your smile is the dream of the depressed.  Your health is the dream of those who are ill.  Don't let difficult times make you forget your blessings"



16 comments:

  1. That comment is so true. Many years ago I was driving my sick and unemployed, both disasters hit at once, husband home from a medical appointment. I was irritated with the heavy traffic on the highway we had to cross, and he said "To you, this is annoying traffic. To me it's employed people well enough to drive to work." Only complaint he ever made. So true, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your DH certainly had the right attitude!

      Delete
  2. Love your latest piece. The small details are lovely. Your quote is very apt with Covid and all it's fallout too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ann - I love adding the embroidery details...I think that's my favourite part.

      Delete
  3. Loving your floral embroidery--very pretty...nice work
    those popovers sound excellent...Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julierose! And yes, those popovers are most excellent goodies.

      Delete
  4. Wow, the Uneeda School (indigenous word or “you need a” aberration?) piece is incredible! You know how much I love your work!! I wonder if that popover recipe would work with almond milk... my guess is that it wouldn’t. Probably needs the milk fat (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I do think the name came from the 'you need a school' but I'm not certain about that. Don't know about making popovers with almond milk but we might try it just to see.

      Delete
  5. It always astonishes me, Mary Anne, how your landscapes are such an amazing representation of each photo. Another fabulous building. There is just something about the door/doorway. The way you have captured the shadows is very clever. The embroidered flowers, too, are exquisite. Oh my, that sweet, tiny Gypsy caravan is unbelievable and those garments.....just gorgeous. A fabulous quote. A timely reminder for these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you Kim! The flowers weren't in the original photo but I took artistic license there simply because I like flowers. And isn't that little caravan amazing? I can't imagine working that much detail into something that tiny.

      Delete
  6. Your latest landscape is amazing! Love the surface embellishments. Congratulations! Interesting links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. The embellishing is my favourite part of doing these.

      Delete
  7. Your newest landscape is lovely. I adore how you added the borders of A B C and school bells. Those wool clothes are swoon worthy! Thank you for the Popover recipe. Great quote to keep those of us who are fortunate to remember our Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. The A B C border just seems to be the right touch. Hope you try the popovers!

      Delete
  8. Oh WoW! That school house quilted picture is amazing! If I start listing all the ways it's awesome, I'll not be able to quit. But that border is wonderful. As are the flowers! And the quilting in the sky... Sigh... I could go on, but suffice it to say, I am blown away, Mary Anne. Oh, and I'm thinking of making popovers now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww - thank you Becki - kind words indeed! I do hope you try the popovers - good thing Resident Chef doesn't make them too often because they're far too tempting!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.