MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, May 31, 2021

More for the Christmas box and little stitcheries

 Over the weekend I completed knitting another pair of socks that are destined for the Christmas box...


And, a few more little stitcheries for the advent calendars were created too...



Today's quote/poem is from Laura Ding-Edwards...

The Mountain

If the mountain seems too big today
then climb a hill instead.
If the morning brings you sadness
it's ok to stay in bed.
If the day ahead weighs heavy
and your plans feel like a curse,
there's no shame in rearranging,
don't make yourself feel worse.
If a shower stings like needles
and a bath feels like you'll drown,
if you haven't washed your hair for days,
don't throw away your crown.
A day is not a lifetime,
a rest is not defeat,
don't think of it as failure,
just a quiet, kind retreat.
It's ok to take a moment
from an anxious, fractured mind,
the world will not stop turning
while you get realigned.
The mountain will still be there
when you want to try again, 
you can climb it in your own time,
just love yourself 'til then.



16 comments:

  1. You're getting me in the mood for Christmas. Well, maybe not Christmas itself, but in thinking ahead and maybe getting ahead of things I'd like to do and make. The socks look comfy warm and squishy. And the Advent stitches, super sweet. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually work on additions for the Christmas box pretty much all year, otherwise I'd be a mess when it came to the actual date and be rushing around spending more money than enough in stores buying things just for the sake of buying them. My family has grown to expect that most of their gifts will be handmade.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I really like the idea of a Christmas box. I may have to start one very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine started out as a box but has evolved into a pile in the corner of the closet. At least everything is in one place!

      Delete
  3. Lovely socks and calendar additions Mary Anne and I love the poem really struck a chord! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine - and I'm glad you liked the poem because it had the same affect on me.

      Delete
  4. Oh lovely socks! To be on your Christmas list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I created a monster with my family and friends years ago when I started making handmade gifts. Back then it was a cost-saving measure but now it's grown to be expected. One year I made the huge mistake of buying most everything I gave and there was such a hue and cry of disappointment that I learned my lesson.

      Delete
  5. This is a good time to remember thinking about Christmas. The way this year is going, summer will be over before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping we will actually GET a summer! We are supposed to be getting warmer towards the weekend here but I'll believe it when I see it. It will probably turn hot (which I love) but the humidity will rise (which I don't). I'm afraid I think about Christmas pretty much all year long.

      Delete
  6. "a rest is not defeat"...how many years it took me to see it that way! I still have to remind myself at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way don't we. If nothing else throughout the pandemic, hopefully we have learned not to be so rushed throughout our lives.

      Delete
  7. You are ahead of the game with your Christmas box. I'm not that industrious - good for you. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work on Christmas things pretty much all year, otherwise I'd be a basket case as it got closer to the date. I like the more leisurely approach!

      Delete
  8. Nice socks and I love the Christmas houses and sled!
    Lovely poem, one day at a time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the same sock pattern all the time because it seems to fit really well. Why mess with perfection!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.