MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, December 30, 2019

Completed quiet book!

I have finished the quiet book!  It took some thought to figure out how I was going to put it together but eventually I settled upon making a 'hinge' of sorts for the spine.  I cut 3 3/4" strips of fabric the length of the pages, folded them in half, and sewed them to the sides of pairs of pages.  Then I put two 'pairs' together, wrong sides together, and basted around the outside.  Then I cut my own double fold bias tape using fun fabrics to bind the pages.  I made the cover 'spine' a bit wider in order to accommodate the inside pages.  Then I used some of my 'fancy' stitches on my machine to topstitch the bias tape.   Added handles to the sides of the cover pages for easy carrying.  I ended up with three 'signatures' and the outside cover.  I marked the center of the spine for each pair of pages for a guide for sewing, along with marking three guidelines on the inside spine of the cover.  Pinned each signature in place along the guidelines and stitched in place.  Tah dah.....



And just a little reminder....if you'd like.... please join me 
in my efforts to downsize throughout January.
I'll be posting my results and would love it if
you would join in!


And here is another fun thing you might like to do in 2020....get an empty jar and at the end of each week add a note with a good thing that happened.  On New Year's Eve 2021, open the jar and read about the great 2020 you had!


Today's quote..."My new year's resolution is to stop procrastinating.  I am not starting until next week though"

24 comments:

  1. I have a feeling this book will become well worn through generations. Your time was well spent in thought & quality work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy - I hope it will see lots of use too.

      Delete
  2. Evan’s Quiet Book is amazing and he will love it! I have begun my challenge by decluttering every pencil and pen and highlighter we had. I filled the trash can. On to the next 5 things... 2020 Blessings Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - I'm glad you're going to play along! And thank you for the reminder to go through my pen/pencil/markers too.

      Delete
  3. You are so clever, Mary Anne. You finished the quiet book beautifully. I admit, though... I was really hoping for a flip through. ;^) Love that Kimono in the link you provided. I enjoyed the comments and video there, too. I will be following with interest your downsizing progress through January. I'll be continuing to downsize, too, but now sure yet how to share that on my blog. I'm thinking you might give me ideas... ;^) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to do a video flip through Becki and my camera wouldn't cooperate. Mind you, it might be operator error too because I don't know what I'm doing!! I'll give it another try and hope for the best. Happy 2020 to you too!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year!
    Beautiful Book!
    My New Year guide this year...Procrastination need not be unproductive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2020 to you as well! I like your new mantra too.

      Delete
  5. The quiet book is fabulous. What a lucky baby, to have a loving and talented gma. And thank you for your generosity in sharing all the steps sources, all that.

    I'm busy hoeing out the studio ready to get my son to haul. It's up two flights, do his help is welcome. I'll be blogging about it on Field and Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love making things for little people so it certainly wasn't a hardship. Glad you're playing along with the clear out too.

      Delete
  6. Your quiet book turned out so cute! I’m sure Evan will like it (and that someone will keep it as a treasure!). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope it's not kept as a treasure - I want him to play with it - lose half the pages, chew on them and just plain have fun with it. Happy 2020 to you as well!

      Delete
  7. What a great job you did on the quiet book. Lucky grandchild!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three of our grandsons have a quiet book and I loved making them. Having said that though - I wouldn't do them for anyone else because they're simply too time-consuming.
      Happy 2020 to you!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your nice finish! I agree, it will be used and loved.
    Funny quote, I think we all have an ongoing struggle with procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie. I agree, most of us do struggle with procrastination.

      Delete
  9. Yet another fabulous Quiet Book. Your ideas just keep getting better and better.
    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet books are fun to make but they are quite time consuming! Happy 2020 to you too!!!

      Delete
  10. Is it wrong that I now want a Quiet Book of my very own? :)
    Are we doing the add-one-more-thing-every-day declutter, Mary Anne? I was just going on and on in a comment on Boud's blog about how I must/will get my house in order this year because the current state of affairs is overwhelming and distressing. I certainly ought to be able to do that daily item/s thing as part of getting stuck in to the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's most definitely not wrong! I'm sure we could make adult versions.
      Glad you're playing along with the decluttering challenge....I think it will be fun! I'm not sticking to the original premise of the challenge, but plan to get rid of 5 things (at least) per day throughout the month. I know most days it will be more than 5, but that's the number I'm aiming for.

      Delete
  11. That book is going to be a treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope not! I hope it's played with until it's worn out.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful gift of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I love my grandsons, what can I say.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.