MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Quilt # 2 finished

Well, actually, technically, this is really quilt #1 because it was the one that started it all.  The one I completed first was made from the leftovers from this one.  Confused yet?  I can confuse you even further by showing you pictures....

Remember this one?

First completed quilt-zzzzz


Now have a look at this one...

Second completed quilt-zzzz

Yep, your eyes are not deceiving you - there ARE two quilts!!
 The top one is set with the blocks straight and the second
was done using an on-point rail fence setting. 

The only difference to the naked eye is that the machine quilter used two different patterns.  That, and the second one is slightly bigger than the other.  Both quilts 'read' as being whole cloth BUT (and here's the problem) having used six different shades of white fabrics to create the blocks just ends up making them look dirty.  Yellowed, actually.  I really hope the kids aren't disappointed when they get them....but I'm not going to be a bit surprised if they are.  I know I am.

Today your quote is from Brian Dyson.... "Don't undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.  It is because we are different that each of us is special" 





9 comments:

  1. Hi Hun, I think your quilts are just beautiful, and nobody is going to be disappointed at all! I also love the precious little doll quilt your grandmother made for you in the post below. All are such treasures! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a good time making the quilts and I'm sure that they will be well loved. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second looks like a snow storm. Snow can be very insulating.
    Good quote, it's very liberating to just be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be disappointed Mary Anne... they look lovely quilts and I am sure they will be appreciated! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! They are done! I think you should be very happy and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts look fine; I'm sure the different fabrics show up better in reality than they do on my laptop. I'm sure the quilts will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 quilts!!!!
    Love the doll on your header. I have been MIA so will have to go back through your posts to find out more about her.
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing not the one, but two huge quilts, both great.I'm sure had I cut (accidentally) 2 quilts, one would remain a UFO for a very long time. So it's a big pat on the back to you for determination and dedication.

    I had something strange happen when I enlarged the top photo. It enlarged to display the bottom quilt. The bottom quilt would not enlarge at all when used. Gremlins??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! You did them both in white/cream/light. OMG, they are beautiful!! And you are so brave. You are smart to have a professional quilt them. From now on, any of my quilts larger than lap size will be professionally quilted. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.