MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, August 17, 2007

More Mumblings...

Sorry, no work got done yesterday and today, so I have nothing to show...so...you all know what that means!

1. Did you read that a couple (in either Japan or China, I think) named their poor baby '@'? How weird is that?

2. Found a recipe for old-fashioned furniture polish today. I can remember my mother using this (when she polished her furniture, which wasn't often!). Pretty simple: just mix 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup lemon juice in a spray bottle. Shake before using. Apply to a soft cloth and use to polish furniture. It doesn't have any build-up of nasty things like silicone.

3. Just finished reading a pretty interesting book: "Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit, and The Era of Predatory Lenders" by James D. Scurlock. On first glance, this looks like it would be pretty uninteresting reading, but I found it fascinating and totally frightening. I highly recommend you get it from your local library and read it.

4. I had a fun afternoon yesterday hanging out with one of my 'cyber' friends who is a very talented needleworker. We did a show & share and then hit our dollar store where we got some beads at half the price that most other places have them for. We did a wander around Fabricland too. Lots of talking & laughing and catching up, which was great fun.

5. Something odd...tonight it was raining. That in itself is very unusual for our area this summer, however the odd thing was that it was raining on one side of our house, but not on the other. Weird.

6. After I cleaned my workroom so well for 'company' yesterday I now don't want to mess it up by doing anything. It just looks so purty right now! Every time I spiff it up I resolve that I will put things away as I use them and won't let it get so yukked up. Never happens. I might as well just face up to the fact that I'm inherently messy.

7. It appears, thanks to my friend Kym, that we will be going to see the Yarn Harlot (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee) talk on Tuesday night. This will be the second time we've seen her, and we know it will be worth it. For those of you that don't know her, she is the author of the following books: 'Yarn Harlot'; 'At Knit's End'; 'Knitting Rules'; and her latest 'Casts Off'. Anyone who knits will enjoy her books and her great sense of humour, and she's Canadian. She also has a very entertaining blog: www.yarnharlot.ca

There's the latest issue of mumblings, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.