MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, March 27, 2020

The yellow block is done (I think).  The colour scheme isn't one I would normally use but it's an interesting challenge to make myself think outside the box.



and closeups...


The next one I will work on is green and I must say the colours the Color Tool is suggesting are NOT what I would ever put together with it.  I'm going to go with it though and see if I can get past my pre-conceived notion of what's right.  Stay tuned!

Last time I promised I would tell you about a couple of the other 'tools' I am using for this particular project.  I have two different sets of templates that I can use to mark stitch placement on my seams.  One is from Sharon Boggon (look HERE) and the other set is made by 'Creative Impressions' (look HERE) and were created to accompany Kathy Seaman Shaw's book 'Stunning Stitches For Crazy Quilts'.  The templates don't need to be used along with the book however.  I use them as they are but also combine them in various ways to come up with my own designs.  It's hard to get a decent picture of the templates...

'Creative Impressions' set on the left, Sharon Boggon's on the right



Today your quote is from Pema Chodron..."Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know"
Stay safe - stay well.

20 comments:

  1. Your block looks whimsical to me - I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - not my favourite of colours but it will look okay with the whole.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, the geometric edging is really attractive, and (for me), unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Something a little different to play around with here at Chez Magpie.

      Delete
  3. I love yellow so I think it's a great starting block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the one I like the least out of the way first!

      Delete
  4. Oh I will enjoy your color theory blocks. I like the triad colors of threads you used on your yellow CQ block. The unexpected! Health is our Wealth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think triad colors are my 'thing' but I'm determined to continue and see what happens. Being isolated is a good time to try new things to help our brains stay active...or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

      Delete
  5. Lovely block--I am setting up a neutral block for summertime embroidery on our deck (if we live that long --not so funny these days!!)
    I made and mailed off 10 masks with ties for family ...this took most of my week...so my Courthouse Steps is taking a break...I can't believe that making these really tired me out...;000
    ~ ~ ~ ~ waves Julierose:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embroidery on our balcony - I like that idea! It will be nice to sit out there when the weather is warm enough for it. Good for you for making the masks - I'm sure your family will appreciate them and the love that went into them.

      Delete
  6. It's a good idea to try to get out of the color rut. I think we can easily keep choosing the same pleasing colors if we don't push to try new ones. One of my art professors used to ask us to pick a color we didn't like, then work with it in an artwork until we figured out how it worked best. It was uncomfortable, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - this is definitely uncomfortable for me, but I think it will be a good exercise and overcome my 'set in my ways' nature. In theory anyway!

      Delete
  7. Pretty! I am so impressed with how quickly you manage to embroider. I'm am soooo slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sit and stitch for pretty much entire days so that's how I can get so much done - particularly now when we're so isolated and there are no social things happening. Lots of time to stitch!

      Delete
  8. Do you have Carole Samples’ “Dream A Seam” templates? Or the feather/fly stitch templates from jukeboxquilts? Both are well worth owning if you can track them down. You might need to press the way back button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't have those, but I will certainly check them out - thank you! I have Carole Samples' book though and often refer to it for ideas. Thanks so much for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  9. Hi Mary Anne, your stitchery is beautiful, love it!
    Ellen's legacy is just so lovely, my kinda thing! Making labels too - I did this last Christmas using the luggage labels, and I had several recipients comment on them. It is like your embroidery, easy to get lost in creating beautiful things and taking your mind away from current issues. Thank you for your linkies, always look forward to looking through them.
    Val (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val - thank you! I love to stitch so it's fun to play around with this project and you're so right in it being good to take our minds off what's happening around us. Glad you enjoy the links because I have fun searching them out although I probably spend far too much time poking around in the recesses of the internet!

      Delete
  10. I'm not a yellow person myself but that yellow is such a pretty shade. Love the work you're doing on it. Stay well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like yellow but I don't work with it very often, other than to embroider flowers once in awhile. In the interest of doing the colour study it's one I wanted to include. You stay well too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.