MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Mindlessness and beauty




There's going to be a lot of stash reduction around here in the next while. In that vein, I heard today that there's a need for prayer shawls in the community. I have a need to reduce my stash and I also have a need for a knitting project that requires total mindlessness. What better thing than to knit a prayer shawl (or three)? This wool is some I acquired (ie. it was given to me by someone else reducing THEIR stash). I know it's hard to see in the picture, but it's a charcoal grey with a little bit of white and pink running through it. Should knit up nice. The pattern I'm using is a free one from Lion Brand Yarn. Basically you just cast on a multiple of three (ie 54, 57 or 60). For the first row you knit three, purl three. Second row you purl the knits and knit the purls. That's it, til you either run out of wool...or get thoroughly sick and tired of the pattern. Oh yes...a pair of size 10 (6mm) needles. I'm going to try it on circulars this time, just for a change. You can fringe it, or not. If you're interested in the pattern, go to www.LionBrand.com and look for the pattern called Prayer Shawl/Healing Shawl. Lion Brand has tons of free patterns on their site, so it's well worth checking out.
The 'beauty' is my African Violets, who have all burst into bloom at the same time. I don't have a green thumb to speak of, but for some reason I can grow these (despite doing every single thing wrong that you read about in the books!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.