MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Disaster averted

Well, never let it be said that excitement doesn't touch down occasionally here at Chez Magpie.  Yesterday I had an entire day (practically unheard of!) home and planned to spend it working on the latest landscape.  My idea of heaven!  Part of the plan was to augment the birch trees with some paint to hopefully make them look a tad more realistic.  Good plan...

You know what happens to many good plans....they're bound to run amuck.  

Needless to say, the advisability of having a small palette of paint perched on the side of my worktable was perhaps not 'the thing', particularly when one decides to get up to answer the phone and watch in horror as the in-process landscape slid to the floor, managing to marry up with the paint palette during the descent.

I didn't want to look.

Paint....on my pants.
Paint .... on the floor.
Which I promptly stepped in,
so...
Paint....on my shoe.

Oh, and just a few splatters on my landscape.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Took off pants....washed pant leg.....mopped up paint on the floor.....mopped off my shoe......flooded splatters with water...hoped for the best (oh, and there was just a teeny little bit of swearing too).

To my complete relief the damage to the landscape was minimal and the application of some more paint (scary thought!) will set things right.  Phew!




From that anonymous source again...."Never regret a day in your life:  good days give happiness, bad days give experience, worst days give lessons, and best days give memories"


22 comments:

  1. This really came alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. Disaster notwithstanding I'm having fun with it!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh this little Wren has visions of a paint splattered Magpie answering the phone! Hope it was a friend of yours on the line?! Oh I shouldn't laugh, poor you. At least you won't have to mop the floor for a while now! Hope the next painting session is less eventful.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas it wasn't a friend - just the local library. And it IS okay to laugh, I am (now). Mopping the floor isn't doable - it's carpet. Luckily (!!) I have one of those plastic chair pads and it landed on that. Can't imagine what would have happened had it been on the carpet...yikes.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, whew wasn't what I was saying (at least at first!!!)

      Delete
  4. I can just see that happening! Chuckles from this part of the country. Glad things worked out with the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I hadn't watched it happening - my heart just about stopped. Live and learn!!

      Delete
  5. You certainly lucked out with the paint, hehe. Someone’s been saying her prayers or something, LOL! Thanks for that bunny and tulips link. That’s going on my Must Make list - for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure didn't feel lucky initially, but when I surveyed the damage it sure could have been a whole lot worse! Sheer luck that I have one of those plastic floor mats for my office chair and most of the paint landed on that. Two inches to the left and it would have been on the carpet and THAT would have been a huge problem.

      Delete
  6. Wow that was a close call. Your landscape is looking fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I was afraid to look at the damage! Dire thoughts of a complete do-over were certainly running through my mind.

      Delete
  7. All done without the aid of a cat, too! Very glad you retrieved the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do enough damage on my own, without having a cat to add to my fun! Glad I fixed it too.

      Delete
  8. You have relayed your situation of spilled paint much more calmly than I could have done. I would have freaked out! I see you have avoided a huge disaster on your landscape...Thank Goodness! Fun Easter links. Another excellent quote and thank you very much dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I felt a long way from being calm when it first happened! I must admit the paint might have been black, but the air had a definite tinge of blue.

      Delete
  9. Your description of your disaster made me feel like I was watching the whole thing in process, too. You tell it well, friend. So glad you were able to get everything cleaned up. And the picture is looking more and more marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki - it could have been a whole lot worse and I must admit I had a momentary vision of having to start the entire thing over. Glad I didn't have to (but I would have had it been not salvageable).

      Delete
  10. Gosh! Poor you! Glad You were able to save it!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a heart-stopping moment and the damage certainly could have been a lot worse. I'm just glad that when I stepped in it that I didn't walk all over the carpet before I noticed!

      Delete
  11. Oh, those horrible slow-motion disasters we can only watch happen! I'm so glad your creation was not much damaged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow motion, for sure! I even managed to answer the phone without sounding too stressed (definitely proud of myself for that one!).

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.