MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, December 10, 2018

Another soup recipe!


Here's another recipe from the kitchen here at Chez Magpie.  Enjoy!

 BEAN SOUP
1 pkg. dry beans (navy beans or mixture) – cover in cold water and let stand overnight.  Drain.
2 lbs. cooked pork or ham pieces

3 large onions, diced

2 stalks celery, chopped

6 T. chicken bouillon

2 bay leaves
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. pepper
3 T. Worcestershire
2 T. parsley
28 oz. can tomatoes
large can of tomato paste
1 ½ tsp. EACH of basil & oregano
½ tsp. dry mustard
Water to fill the pot(s). This recipe makes at least
one large pot and quite likely two (lots for the

freezer!)


                Simmer together three hours (more is better!).  




11 comments:

  1. For a while I've found that as soon as I respond to comments on the blog, the comments arrive in my email! Three times! Something backward at blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a bag of 15 Beans Soup, I made some Ham & Beans last week. The recipe on the bag called for tomatoes like the recipe above, but I just couldn't add them. I love Ham and Beans and I wasn't sure I'd love this. Would like to know how it compares if you could tell. Looking forward to more soup recipes, Mary Anne! And, I'm all for you commenting on the blog. Both for the ease it surely will be for you, but I love reading your responses to questions people may ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to not being a lover of beans (particularly green & yellow beans), but I love this soup. The tomatoes add to it - at least IMHO. This recipe is one I created when I was doing the cooking and it evolved into this and now it's one of the very few recipes the current Resident Chef hasn't tinkered with. That says a lot!!

      Delete
    2. It sounds like I may need to try it, then!

      Delete
  3. Perfect timing! There's leftover ham and celery to use up. Today is soup day here. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks interesting. I'm now playing catch-up with my blog reading. Life takes over. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird when things happen with emails/replies etc I have just got this post and looked back at others to find I hadn't got the last two posts you did in my in box. Hmmm........ You and the resident chef look great - sorry that jigsaw didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss blogging because of the comment issues I never got resolved. Maybe I should try this new way as you are going to do. Love the recipe and links. Thank You and December Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of people are having issues Sherry and more and more are turning to responding to comments directly on the blog.

      Delete
  7. Bean soup! Now you're talking. Just plain Jane here though with either bacon grease or piece of country ham and some salt and pepper. I should try your recipe though. The pink ornament is a different turn. I've never figured out how to get email addresses from folks if they don't have one posted on google?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.