MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Mumblings

I have no pictures. I have no productiveness going on whatsoever. Life is getting in the way of creativity at the moment and I don't like it! So, you shall be mumbled at tonight.
----------------------------------------------------

Just got back from taking my Dad to the local clinic to get some prescriptions refilled. The joys of not having a family doctor are many, believe me. We have to line up outside and wait til the place opens, which isn't such a bad thing in the summer time, but not any fun at all in the winter or when it's raining. It's a delicate balancing act as to what time you should arrive...too early and the wait is horrible but at least you might get in. Too late and you won't have to wait outside, but chances are they will have closed the doors and won't be letting any more in. Such a joy when you figure that the poor people waiting outside in all weather are most likely sick and bound to get sicker out in the cold.

At least Dad got his prescriptions looked after and got two new ones for his bed sore, which, because he sits on his derriere most of the time, is ON his derriere. I never signed up for playing nurse and having to peer at my fathers backside on a daily basis, but that appears to be my lot in life right now. I'm sure he's just about as thrilled at the prospect as I am! Between shoving pills down the dogs throat, throwing drops in his eyes and now anointing human butts with various creams - I'm gonna hang out my shingle for medical care!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Typed the 235th page of 'the book' today, so that should mean I'm a little over half way through. I know y'all were waiting with bated breath to hear how it's progressing. You weren't? Oh. Sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you know anybody who is vegetarian (or anybody who isn't), here's a recipe we've tried a couple of times and really like....

VEGETARIAN SWEET & SOUR MEATBALLS
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fine chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or plain ones work too)

Mix the above together and form into meatballs, approx. 2" in size, & put into a 9x13" pan.

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
- 3/4 c. apricot jam
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- dash of hot pepper sauce

Combine & pour over meatballs. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Our DIL-to-be is vegetarian and she really liked these too. Our chef son thinks the 'meat' part could be used to make lasagna, but we haven't tried it yet. We aren't vegetarians, but we do eat meat-less quite a bit.
------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a skiff of snow on the ground this morning when I got up. I wanted to go back to bed and not look outside again until May!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

There, that's enough mumbling for one day. Can't risk boring my audience you know!! I'll try to do better tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I guess that's a "day in the life of". Interesting, now I suggest you make a nice cuppa and put your nose in a book for an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry life has been less than wonderful lately. I'm glad you are there for your dad.
    Its now time for you to take some "me" time.
    So is this what we have to look forward to here in the US when the government does whatever its going to do about health insurance. I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have good reasons to be numbling, so don't feel guilty!
    And what about that nice cup of tea?
    To help, I send you all the positive waves I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that life can be a sht at times even in Canada. Tomorrow may be better, hang in there. Life's often like that here in Oz too but our health system is amazingly good cf yours, i've never heard of waiting outside to line up for prescriptions to be filled. Our Medicare system is way better than that even with its flaws.
    Go pat yourself on your back, you're doing a good job. K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commend you MA. I remember those days before my dad passed and things that had to be done with him. It's not fun, but we do what we have to do I guess. Life is not fun sometimes, as we all know, that's why when we can we have to take every chance to live, laugh and love! It's good to get it out or we'd stress ourselves to death, literally!
    Be sure and take care of yourself and hey I'll send you another clay head, next one with a smile :).... if that will help any!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUX
    take 15 and thread a needle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. Life can be rough. But it's great that your dad has you and you so obviously love him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just another thought MA, is it possible to purchase cushions there which have an "egg carton" shape foam (lots of little soft peaks) which are designed to relieve pressure when sitting for long periods? We can get them here from either pharmacists or 'aids for disabled' shops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear..I thought i was low but this is lower..so it makes it all the more important for me to thank you for the lovely comment you left me...even when you were feeling down you made me feel better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.