MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

ATC's and crayons

Today was our CQTeers meeting and, as always, I came home with some pretty cool atcs to add to my collection. This month our theme was 'artist choice'. The picture above shows what we did. The top two were by me; Sue did the one on the bottom left (encaustic); Kym the one in the middle (zentangle); and Irene the one on the right (a mini doll).

Sue taught us how to do encaustic painting using an iron and kids crayons (who knew!). I can see I have a long way to go with this technique, but it was a lot of fun. I have decided I need to invest in a thrift store iron with a solid plate. Mine has holes for the steam and, despite covering it with aluminum foil, seemed to have spots that didn't work so well. These are done on the cardboard which comes in packages of panty hose...it has a 'shiny' side which helps the crayon wax not to melt directly into the paper. Some of my experiments are below....

5 comments:

  1. Tell us how to do the crayon encaustic technique, MA. That looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:22 AM

    I would like to learn the crayon/'encaustic' technique also, i have the crayons already, as i had heard of this, but am afraid to try 'by myself', haha. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your encaustic experiments, they look just like sand dunes and beach. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Geez MA..the ATCs look pretty good...and your painting turned out pretty well! Hope you find the iron you are looking for. I will scour the local 'Mall' tomorrow to see if they have one there.
    Mrs Noofy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The encaustic painting is pretty MA. I did that as a kid, but don't remember the details on how to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.