Never let it be said that I don't share the good, the bad, and the ugly! You will remember that I've been working on a denim jacket and had it to the point of needing buttons and snaps. A trip to the fabric shop yielded what I needed. BUT. And there's a big BUT involved in this whole debacle.
So...first it was a quilt flimsy....then it became a jacket....and now it's this....
Pattern I used is the 'Catch All Caddy'
from Patterns By Annie
As a nod to the thickness of the quilted denim, I left out the inner dividers.
The rest might be has been cut up and became bases for postcards.
- THIS is a project you might like to add to your arsenal. I'm sure there are many organizations (think in terms of fire departments, police, etc) that would welcome them.
- THIS is a sweet little project that would work all year 'round.
- THIS is really pretty and could work in a number of applications.
- HERE is another fun little project.
- And HERE is another fun little weaving project.
Today's quote...



The jacket was a disappointment but it did eventually become a very good bag, definitely worth it. You didn't give up on it!
ReplyDeleteI am nothing if not stubborn! I refused to let the fabric go to waste.
DeleteEven though you weren't happy with its outcome, you learned about denim sewing and now you have fabric
ReplyDeleteall ready to make your postcards or even placemat centers...and you used it up--nice work:)))
hugs, Julierose
Placemats aren't something we use (simply because we don't want to bother having to launder them) so the bag and postcards are more useful.
DeleteI love ❤️ the bag. I am glad you kept with the project. I really appreciate your creative talent.
ReplyDeleteI refused to let all the work of quilting the denim go to waste so luckily I had that bag pattern in my stash.
Deletescore!!! the caddy is waaay cool - take THAT, stupid jacket!!! Mary Anne brought you into this World and she took you out.
ReplyDeleteYep, down for the count!
DeleteEven though the jacket was a disappointment, you managed to make it a save. I plan on finding an old quilt that has seen better days to see what I can come up with.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I'd been wanting to try making that bag for awhile so it ended up being a good thing.
DeleteIt’s sad the jacket wasn’t longer because it looks good color-wise and sharp with the red accents. But if it doesn’t fit well or you are not comfortable in it, then it’s on to the next thing. The caddy is awesome, though, so take the win!
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm happy with the caddy and no doubt, in the long run, it will serve me better than the jacket would have.
DeleteAh! There you are! Good save, and the caddy will fit much better. Yes, the problem with so many quilted jackets is that they are basically rectangles (back, two fronts, sleeves) with no shaping. When it was All The Rage to make sweatshirt jackets the instructions began with cutting off the ribbing at the hem (and cuffs). Cutting off that 2" meant the jacket fell at the least-flattering hip length.
ReplyDeleteI've always been leery of trying to make a jacket out of a sweatshirt...and why would you cut off the ribbing? That doesn't make any sense. Good reason why I've never attempted it!
DeleteGreat save! That's one reason I stopped sewing clothes. I was disappointed too often. I love your tote! There's no use keeping something that you don't like. Better to turn it into something else.
ReplyDeleteClothing sewing and I don't get along (sez I, who purchased a sheet hoping to turn it into a summer housecoat...surely I won't screw that up too!)
DeleteOh no! I'm sorry you were disappointed with the jacket. I'm glad you didn't give up on it and turned it into a great caddy!
ReplyDeleteNo worries! The only one who was horrified by the entire thing was the RC and I take my job of horrifying him periodically quite seriously (ha ha).
DeleteI must say the jacket doesn't look that bad on you, but I love the caddy, lol!! xx
ReplyDeleteI know I would never have worn the jacket, so at least the caddy is useful.
DeleteYou inspire me, Mary Anne. You made some very nice looking patchwork cloth that made a pretty cool caddy (and postcards, I later see). I'm still remain impressed with the jacket, though.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for decisively moving forward past one project and into another, better, creation! Well done you!!
ReplyDelete