I've been wanting a 'new' summer-weight housecoat but they are extremely rare at the thrift stores and I refuse to pay full price. So....enter a thrifted bed sheet. I really liked this one when I saw it and the price was right (under $10) and I thought there might be enough fabric to make a housecoat using a pattern I've used to make them for our boys years ago (McCall's 9638 - no doubt no longer available). I felt confident tackling it because it doesn't have to be a thing of beauty - just functional.
Well then, THAT was a Debacle of The Grande Scale!!! Talk about a disaster of the first order. I don't know why I keep thinking I can sew clothing and make it fit...or even come remotely close. All I can say is good thing that bed sheet cost less than $10 or I'd really be upset. Needless to say, my efforts landed in the receptacle-that-one-keeps-next-to-the-sewing-machine and there will NOT be a picture to show you today. Obviously I don't need a summer-weight housecoat. Sigh.
- I think THESE are awww-worthy.
- THIS is a simple little project that even kids might like to do.
- I doubt I'll try THIS but I'm definitely curious to know if it actually would work.
- Although THIS is just a picture with no instructions, I think it's a great idea (good use perhaps for old knitting needles?)
- Have a peek through the galleries of THIS artist!
Today's quote...




The mini puppies 🐶 are so cute.
ReplyDeleteThey are definitely awww-worthy aren't they.
DeleteYou are not alone!! I stopped clothes making for my daughter when she matured--and I could never get things to fit for me either--
ReplyDeletehugs, Julierose
I would love to make more dresses for our grandie (who is 4) but I know my days of those are numbered. I'll be stitcking to making pj's at Christmas time - those I don't seem to mess up.
DeleteI'm sorry the project didn't work out, oh well. Another good reason to wrap coat hangers is that you don't get hanger marks at the shoulders. I should do mine.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry too, but it wasn't really unexpected...clothing sewing for myself just isn't my forte.
DeleteFound a seersucker short summer robe at Macy's online at a good price. First one I'd bought in many years! Worth a look. . .
ReplyDeleteI'm in Canada so sadly I don't think Macy's is an option - not without having to pay huge shipping costs. Thanks though!
DeleteOh bummer.
ReplyDeleteNot unexpected with my track record making clothing!
DeleteOh goodness that sounds like me and my last attempts to sew myself clothing!!!! I've given up......... back to quilts! xx
ReplyDeleteYep, from now on I'm sticking to pjs for the kids - at least I don't mess those up (yet, ha ha).
DeleteWell bummer. You make me a little nervous to cut up some fabric I purchased months ago to make me some tops. As long as the fabric is still intact, I can imagine very cute, comfy shirts. I'm kind of afraid I've possibly lost my sewing touch. Or my body won't fit into the size indicated on the pattern envelope. Or I'll just get frustrated. =^/ What to do? What to do?
ReplyDelete