MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Monday, January 13, 2020

Is it over yet? And a beginning

Just to give you something else to look at other than my downsizing efforts, how about an inspiration for a new landscape?  This is a photo of my uncle with the tractor he refurbished and now drives in pretty much every local parade in his area.  I've wanted to use a tractor in my work and so this has become my inspiration.  Of course his tractor is far too 'pretty' for my liking, so you KNOW that part of it is going to change!


and this is the beginning of my version....


I know - doesn't look like much does it!!

I'm sure some of you are asking that very question of 'is it over yet?'  and I'm sorry to say you're going to be subjected to  downsizing caper results until the end of the month.  All together now.....groan.....

A box 3 parts full of scrapbooking paper, some plastic rings, a bag of pom poms, some calligraphy guides and a guide to making paper beads

small paper envelopes (I have more!); alphabet stamps, stencils, a pair of scissors that won't cut and some tags

A bag of feathers, a bag of faces, sequins with no holes, bottle caps, plastic eggs and some
stuff of questionable origin/use

card sleeves (I have tons still!); photograph corners; pom poms, and a pkg. of pop dots 


Today's quote is from Deborah  Wirsu....."The thing is, by adulthood, we've learned to recognize quality in other people's work, but find it difficult to see the merit in our own"       

12 comments:

  1. A different turn from the over used red truck everyone is going nuts over. You go girl. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you certainly do see that red truck everywhere - Hallmark is doing well with that one! I'm afraid tractors (and old rusty cars & trucks) are more my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you noticed that all the downsizing makes you more than ever long to make stuff? As I've been handling materials I've wanted to use them right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I was setting things aside thinking 'I can make this....I can make that...' and then the pile grew out of proportion and I had to stop. Guess it's a good exercise to go through your stash on a regular basis, if only for the inspiration.

      Delete
  4. It you simply must downsize....then you must. =) LOVE the shiny red tractor, though a little age and rust would spiff it up a little. I just know 'it' will look fabulous in a new landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that my uncle would agree that adding age and rust would make his pride and joy better but it certainly does in my eyes anyway.

      Delete
  5. I don't know why you think your downsizing stuff is boring. I was just commenting on Home Ed Major's website that I've lost all my oomph today. But seeing your pictures reminds me of what I need to dive into. More craft materials. It can wait until tomorrow as I really am tired tonight, your pictures (and descriptions) served to infuse me with a bit of hope that tomorrow's a new day and it will surely have new energy.

    I LOVE the tractor and look forward to seeing your next quilted picture. And I'm definitely revisiting and reading through at the third link you provided above. That looks like a good story, and combined with her crazy quilt creation should be pretty inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow IS a new day and we have to remember the old adage that Rome wasn't built in a day. It will get done, eventually, and if it doesn't I don't suppose we're going to lose a whole lot of sleep over it. I love that tractor too and am enjoying playing with the design. Not sure my uncle will like it because I'm rusting up his tractor AND putting it in a winter scene (he hates winter).

      Delete
  6. Oh how I love old tractors just like I like old barns. It will be fun to follow your progress on this landscape quilt. Great links...especially Susan Lens and her “Crazy” quilt...WOW!!! Such dedication and inspiration to saving the past for the future. How true this quote is today. Blessings Dear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old tractors, cars and trucks too. They have so much character. And I agree with your 'wow' over Susan's quilt - her work is incredible no matter what she does but this piece certainly caught my eye.

      Delete
  7. The tractor is an interesting project to take on. Interesting links. By the way, even when my studio is tidied up, it still doesn't look like the ones in your link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My studio doesn't either - but a gal can dream. Mind you, if I had something that pristine I'd probably never want to work in it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.