MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Second childhood - or - dotage? Take your pick!

Sorry about being somewhat absent over the past week.  There hasn't been much in the way of stitching being accomplished around here, plus there's been an issue with my camera talking to my computer with any degree of success.  Finally resorted to re-installing the program and eureka!!  Would have been helpful had I thought of that in the first place.

I've been busy though, although there are some that might suggest that I've taken leave of what's left of my mind.  I'm sure those of you with grown children have dealt with the dilemma of them moving away and leaving their 'stuff' in semi-permanent storage with you.  Our boys were pretty good (especially when faced with the threat of what they don't take before we moved to this apartment would get a one-way trip to the dump...funny how that gave them incentive!!).  Anyway, the point of all this (and I do have one, believe it or not) is that one of the few things we kept was a giant tote filled with their Lego.  Our upcoming road trip to visit our #2 son gives us a perfect opportunity to get rid of some of it.  So....good ol' mom (who is actually a closet Lego-lover) hauled the lot out and with DH's help sorted it out.  Then I started to build the kits - or at least as many as I could.  Of course a lot of the pieces were lost over the years (most likely gobbled up by the vacuum).  

See?...


This was only one (the biggest) of the kits
I managed to pretty much put together.

Now that tote, and its contents will be outta here!

While I was doing all that (it *only* took me four days!!), DH was pottering about in the kitchen creating these...


These are our trail mix cookies which will be taken on our trip and serve as breakfast food.  For those of you who might be interested in a healthy cookie, here's the recipe...

TRAIL MIX COOKIES
(this makes a LOT!!)

4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. EACH baking powder & baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 c. large flake rolled oats
4 c. Trail Mix (see below)
2 c. margarine
1 c. EACH white & brown sugar
(Note: we only use 3/4 c. of each sugar)
4 eggs, beaten
4 T. water
4 tsp. vanilla
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.  Cream together margarine & sugars.  Add liquids to dry ingredients.  Drop by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet.  Flatten with spatula.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 mins.

TRAIL MIX
(note: you can buy trail mix if you prefer)

1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. chopped or slivered almonds
1 c. dried cranberries or raisins (or combination)
1/2 c. coconut (small flake)
1 c. chopped peanuts


Because I can't leave you without ANY mumblings (I know - most of you would say that all of the above fits under that umbrella...ahem....), how about checking out the myriad of patterns available at THIS site. 

Your quote for today, and one I plan to adopt, is from C.S. Lewis..."It's never too late to have a second childhood" 



7 comments:

  1. Oh Mary Ann, I love Lego too!!I used to buy it for the kids in my classes, and all my nephews and nieces if they liked Lego!Love that ship!!There is so much you can do with lego.I love seeing You Tube videos of lego Fairs, and when they have items about Lego on radio and tv.It is an amazing invention.They have top creative people working for Lego in the design dept.
    Those cookies look Very Good.Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look delicious! Glad that with all the lego distraction you're not losing sight of the essentials of travel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't mention Lego. I have two or three very large containers full of the stuff. I even have my granddaughter's baby crib and changing table...eeeek! If they don't have room for it they bring it home. We are planning to move in the spring and all that stuff isn't coming with us...hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing with my daughter's lego! Now her daughter plays with them. I copied your cookie recipe and will try them once we get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pirate ship! I still have the old lego I played with as a child and then added all the kids lego. Brought it all back from overseas with me. Love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to the permanent storage issue. My daughter just turned 49 and I still have some of her childhood toys. Truth-be-told I have kept them because I love them. I have never played with Legos but I have seen amazing projects built with them. Full size "people" were the most amazing. Your ship is fantastic...even if it is not fully water-worthy. Yummy cookies I see. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes....my house is also known as Helen and James' personal storage depot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.