MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

As requested....

I've had several requests for my go-to pattern for the baby blankets and a search on the internet to find it was unsuccessful, so I will simply type it up for you.  It's pretty easy!

UPDATED TO ADD: My friend, who originally shared this pattern with me, just let me know that it originally appeared on the ball band for Phentex Worsted yarn.  Thanks MEK!

It calls for two 400 g balls of baby worsted weight yarn (I used Softee Baby by Caron); and a 6 mm crochet hook.   Gauge isn't important for this project.  NOTE:  I buy three balls of yarn so I have enough for a nice border.

Ch 128.

FOUNDATION ROW:  1 sc in 2nd ch from hook; 1 sc in each ch to end of ch.  Turn (127 sc).

ROW ONE:  Ch 3 (counts as dc); 1 dc in first sc.  *Miss next 2 sc.  (1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in next sc.  Rep from * to last 3 sc.  Miss next 2 sc.  2 dc in last sc. Turn.

ROW TWO:  Ch 1.  1 sc in each of first 3 dc.  *1 sc in next ch-1 sp.  1 dc in each of the next 2 dc.  Rep from * to last dc.  1 sc in top of turning ch.  Turn. 

Repeat last 2 rows until work from beginning measures 48", ending with a 2nd row.

This, in itself, makes a pretty baby blanket, but I like to give it a really nice border.  Sometimes I find one in a pattern book that I like and I use that, other times (as in the blanket I showed you yesterday) it gets made up as I go along and also depends on how much yarn I have to use up.  

8 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing your pattern. I just might have to get out my crochet hooks and buy some baby yarn. Creative Crochet Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern!! I have two skeins of this yarn that I found when I was gathering my stash. I'll save this pattern to use when I am waiting in Doctor's offices etc. I like to have a take a long project ready.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the pattern Mary Anne... I loved your little blanket.... will have to save this for the next time I need to make one! Have a great week! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heroine! Someone who can not only read a crochet pattern, but even create one and write it! I can do crochet freeform using various stitches, bit I'm hanged if I could write it out intelligibly. Yay you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice of you to take the time to type up the pattern. The blanket is very elegant. What baby wouldn't feel special wrapped in that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the pattern. It is a lovely little blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.