MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Silent Night - Holy Night


This will be my last post before Christmas,
so I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite 
Christmas decorations.

For eight years I was an Avon rep and at one point they had this beautiful Nativity set on offer.  I loved it and started collecting it bit by bit.  I never did get all the pieces and, hindsight being what it is, now I wish I had.  It's one of the most beautiful sets I've seen and every year it's so special to set it up and enjoy it.  Jack got me the barn/manger which goes with it perfectly (it wasn't part of the original set and was one he picked up in a store somewhere).  

When I was growing up we lived on a farm and didn't have much money for many things beyond keeping the farm going.  One of the Christmas ornaments we had was this tiny angel...


As I recall, she came on top of a box of chocolates that were gifted to us.  Many of you might remember when the prices on grocery items were hand stamped - the price on the back of her reads 49 cents.  She was always the angel that hung on the top of our tree and she still enjoys a place of honour.





Our current treetop 'angel' is this sweet little bear - a gift from a friend.

This is another of my favourite ornaments...


as is this one...handmade by a friend...



and this wee hooked mouse, also by the same friend...


You can also see (if you embiggen the picture) a little picture of my boys - now considerably bigger than they were then!!). I love the old cartoon version of 'The Grinch' so he also lives on our tree.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Christmas - to you, and to those you love.

I will leave you with the immortal words of Charles Dickens...  

It was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge.  May that be truly said of us, and all of us!  And so, as Tiny Tim observed...

God Bless Us, Every One!








7 comments:

  1. Mary Anne thank you for sharing your precious nativity set and ornaments. I do love those mice you have. How sweet to be able to enjoy your treasures at this special time of year. Merry Christmas Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I have an angel bear from a departed friend on my tree. Quite a few memories on my tree, like yours. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you, Mary Ann. Such lovely ornaments. I think the special ones are those with a story of where they came from, such as those above. I have many 'story' ornaments on my tree. They are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely ornaments with each one holding a special memory in your heart. I love your Nativity Scene....it is a beauty. May you have a wonderful Christmas, Mary Anne. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Anne, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful treasures...Your Nativity Scene set is so nice, it is a great collection. I believe that that little angel is your most important ornament, because it has a special meaning from your past.
    I wish you a very special Christmas, have a blessed Christmas Day.
    Rengin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas!! Loved hearing about your ornaments. I remember that Avon Nativity Scene.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful ornaments, and delightful memories... that's really what it's all about isn't it... I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and all the best of the season to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.