MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

and now, for something different.

I thought, for a change of pace, I'd show you a couple of other things that have been happening here at Chez Magpie.  This morning I finally got around to finishing up a couple of small journal covers I had knitted and now they're residing in the gift box.

 The yarn I used came from my stash and it's one that I guess could be called 'slubby' (for lack of a better word!).  It's thick and thin throughout and is very soft.  The colour is an off-white.  I suspect it might take dye well, but I'm happy with the neutral tones so will leave well enough alone.





A close-up of the crocheted flower I added.








DH has been busily re-finishing a handmade truck that is over 30 years old with the plan to pass it along to our grandson.  DH made this toy for our boys when they were small and it was well-loved at the time.  Hopefully it will be loved once again.





Today the quote is from Jimmy Carter.... "God answers all our prayers.  Sometimes the answer is yes.  Sometimes the answer is no.  Sometimes the answer is, you've got to be kidding!

14 comments:

  1. Nice tactile book covers.Just love that old truck.How lovely to see it being passed onto the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww I heart that truck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely knitting! The old wooden truck is a treasure. funny quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely hand knit journal covers and they are perfect to share for Simply Neutrals Tuesday. I love your wooden truck and how it will be loved by another generation in your family. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh Mary Anne, I really love your knitted book covers... the natural yarn is perfect! How lovely to be able to hand down a handmade truck to your grandson.... I am sure it will be treasured. It looks lovely! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MA
    My husband made trucks like that back in the 80's when he was heavy into wood working. I'm sure the kids will love it now, just as much as yours did. Ours, along with Tonka Trucks, are waiting on a shelf that surrounds Terry's garage waiting....
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha lol that quote is great!! Knitted journal covers, I have never seen any before, they are beautiful! They look soft and I guess it would be very nice to hold them in your hands. I love the beautiful crocheted flower you added. And the wooden truck, how precious a family treasure is that! I'm happy you joined the party dear, thank you so much for linking up. Wishing you a wonderful day, xx Wen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great journal cover. The 'slubbyness' gives it a pure rustic country feel, and the neutral colour just adds to its gorgeousness. Love the crochet flower btw, and the feature button(s) is a great addition.
    The truck is trucking-on. Great job DH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The journal covers are really sweet and will be lovely gifts. That truck is awesome! What a great heirloom to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh such sweet journal covers from slubby wool. How lovely to handle!
    Love that old truck and so pleased to see it - so unlike everything today that is trashed. Makes me feel sad! so to see these lasting handcrafted items brings great joy and I think the world is slowly turning around to these again.
    Lovely to see you partaking in Simply Neutrals Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the book covers and pretty flowers. The toy truck is a great gift to pass along to the GKs who I feel sure will love it just as much as your son did.
    Anyone can have a purchased toy but not all can have a lovingly made one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Mary Anne these are gorgeous journal covers!
    You knit as well! The creamy white is lovely - I wonder what luscious journals they will hold?
    Lovely to see you at Wen's party too!
    Much love
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Mary, Your knitted covers are beautiful gifts. Handmade is the best kind of gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary Anne, I love your knitted book covers, and the crochet flowers are so sweet! I'd never seen knitted bookcovers before! How lovely that your husband was able to make this lovely truck - such a great heirloom! Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.