MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Progress, of the hussif kind

I have completed a couple more things for the 'innards' of my hussif.  I know this hussif is seeming to take absolutely forever to get done, but it's getting there - I promise!

First of all, I made this needle keep.  It's a large button blank covered with embroidery and inside I glued a couple super heavy duty magnets (tricky little beggars to get to stay in place while the hot glue dried - they kept wanting to leap together like bunnies in heat).  As you can see a needle sticks very nicely to it and won't be so easily misplaced while I'm working.  Of course, having said that, the secret to success is going to be training my brain into actually putting the needle onto it!


This little creation is a crocheted thimble holder.  Being that I don't actually USE thimbles it's rather a waste of space in my hussif, but that didn't stop me from making it.  I just like the look of it!


Today the quote is from William James.... "Be not afraid of life.  Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact"


13 comments:

  1. Lol, you're too funny. I love the "unnecessary" little crocheted cutie, it's beautiful. And so is the needle keep. I have high hopes it will be used often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful little cross stitch rose MA!!! And I love the thimble holder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mary Anne! I am really excited to see your hussif finished! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hussif is going to look amazing. The little cross stitch rose is sweet and the little crochet thimble holder is very pretty. I don't use thimbles either....I always find them annoying, which is a pity as my fingers would be much happier if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Rose magnetic needlekeep. I really like your little crochet keeper for a thimble. Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a needle keep like that. It's on my list of projects to google for instructions! So, is the button blank what I call the unit you use to make covered buttons? Could you post a pic of the back? I love this gizmo. Mdm Samm says they are must have and she must be right because I am always sticking my needle somewhere!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Brolly had a tutorial for one here

    http://www.red-brolly.com/2014/08/magnetic-pinkeep/

    Is this what yours is like? I have never seen the button blanks with teeth
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cleaver you are with that magnetic needle keep. Nice thimble holder...fit for a queen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely needle keep--I need one of those! My needles turn up on the pillow, in the pillow, and on the floor...lol! Your thimble holder is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you are taking the time to make your hussif just the way you want it! I love your thimble holder too. It may surprise you and come in handy one day. (I don't thimbles either, but I ended up buying one while working on my We Support You quilt because my poor abused fingers couldn't take another moment of pushing a needle through all those layers without one!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unique details,you are having fun, good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your hussif, my body bag...they take as long as they take, can't be rushed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today's lucky for me-Bloglovin's letting me comment, so I'll catch up with your past works.
    The magnet pin keep is such a great idea. I've seen embroidered keeps but dislike the thought of destroying them by sticking needles or pins in them. I'll be making some soon. Great idea for gifts.
    I only resort to thimbles when my finger is too sore from not using one- not too often thankfully.
    The pretty little sachet is well worth including in the hussif.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.