MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A marvelous gift - and extreme disgust

First of all - I've been meaning to post a picture of the exciting gift that our #2 son and daughter-in-love gave me when they were visiting a few weeks ago. 


The two red skeins of yarn are 'Golden Crown Suri' - an absolutely gorgeous lace weight yarn made from alpaca.  So soft and luxurious!  The single ball in the front of the photo is Qiviuk which is made from the fine inner insulating layer of the Canadian Arctic Muskox.  It's also lace weight and there's enough yarn in that single ball to make a beautiful scarf.  They included the pattern in the gift (for the Qiviuk) and I've since ordered a cowl pattern from the company who makes the alpaca yarn.  And yes, I'm definitely intimidated to even start knitting with such expensive and luxurious yarn!!    If you want to learn more about these yarns I'm sure you can google 'Qiviuk' and/or Heavenly Alpaca. 

- - - - - - - -

Many of us in Canada have been pretty much glued to the news reports today after a horrendous terrorist attack at our nation's capital, following closely on another attack earlier in the week that happened in Quebec.  We don't like to think that these sorts of things can happen here, in a largely peaceful nation.  Obviously they can.  The people who do these sorts of atrocities deserve nothing but our extreme disgust.  Our prayers go out to the families of the soldiers who have died, as well as to those who have been injured.  

Today I am giving you a quote from Napolean Hill.... "Until you have learned to be tolerant with those who do not always agree with you; until you have cultivated the habit of saying some kind word of those whom you do not admire; until you have formed the habit of looking for the good instead of the bad there is in others, you will be neither successful or happy"

9 comments:

  1. Good daily quote.
    Over the years I haven't heard about many incidents happening in Canada. In the US, we have certainly had our share. It looks like Isis has made a global call to sympathizers to attack wherever they can so I suppose we will see more such attacks. It makes you wonder how there can be so many crazies in this world.

    That yarn looks gorgeous. Don't be intimidated! Can't wait to see your finished project. Gorgeous colors.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world shares your disgust too. We have seen it all on our news too. I am hopeful that with so many countries banding together they will be able to subdue this evil.
    If only more people lived by those words we would live in a much safer society

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart and prayers are with those that have lost loved ones and those that are injured.

    Your quote is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that the craziness has visited Canada. Hopefully it will be an isolated event and not repeated. In the meantime pet your lovely yarns until you're ready to begin knitting up those lovely scarves. I can't wait to see what they will look like. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gift. My prayers go out to those suffering and those who have lost loved ones.
    Good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quote is perfect! When I heard the news I immediately thought of you.
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the yarn, and eager to see your creations. Don't let fear hold you back.
    I think that's a lovely quote for peacetime: however, in light of recent events, I think tolerance can blind us to the insidious nature of the terrorism that's going on around the world. Tolerance is seen as weakness by those perpetrators, and leaves us exposed.
    Along with the horror, there is much sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been a sad day and continues to remind us of our forefather's sacrifice, our fight to remain a free democratic country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was heartbroken to watch the events in Canada unfold....I am with you in spirit x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.