MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Gifted treasures

A friend of mine is moving away and has been downsizing her stash of creativity fodder and today she gifted me with these special treasures...



My friend is in her 80's and she said that the tatting book, shuttle and the lovely little motifs (there were several) were done by her mother.  Although I can't tat, I felt very blessed to become the caretaker for such treasures.  The book was copyrighted in 1944.


Here's a close-up so you can hopefully see the details a little better (click to embiggen!).  The bracelets are more recently made I think, but I'm not sure about the collar.  I think it's crocheted using metallic thread, but it could be a form of weaving.  Unsure of the possible age of that either.

One of the tatted motifs will be making an appearance somewhere on my current white cloth.

Today's quote is from Henry Thoreau.... "The question is not what you look at, but what you see"


10 comments:

  1. the collar does look like crochet. there are lots of good tatting videos out there and Craftsy.com has a great beginners tatting class online if you're interested in learning. i pick up my shuttle every once in awhile just so i don't forget how to tat. it's a great carrying along hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful compliment to be gifted such beautiful treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see some tatting that I think is amazing, but I have no desire to learn the craft. But it would be hard to turn down gifts such as you received. Needlework tools must be preserved by someone that appreciates them. Perhaps you will get the urge to learn.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Oooo..Oooo..Oooo!!!!!!!

    Sue
    aka Mrs Noofy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, they are treasures, tatting makes such beautiful lace.
    Great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how delightful, am sure youll treasure the pamphlet and such beautiful tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to be the keeper of such treasures. I have done a bit of tatting and you could learn too!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooh, delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you'recollecting someone else's stash? I seem to remember you downsizing yourself not too long ago!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.