MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Poor shivering birdies...

Do birds shiver?  I wonder.  The past few days we've had a lot of mourning doves huddled down on our balcony, trying to survive the bitter cold temperatures.  We've been putting lots of food out for them, including some on the table top so that more birds can access it.  They are very skittish and it's impossible to get any pictures, other than through the window (which has a permanent screen), so these aren't the best quality...



I think, for a little added 'interest' to my blog that I will start sharing some of my favourite quotes.  Today I will give you one that was once said by Mary Pickford...

"If you have made mistakes...there is always another chance for you....you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down". 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Anne

    We forget about the birds and other creaures when it gets as cold as it has been.

    Good for you to put stuff out for them. We have had it cold here too (Florida) in the 40 and 50's. Back up to 70's by the weekend.

    Hope you are both welland heres to another good year.

    Hugs
    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've ever handled pet birds, you'll have noticed how boiling hot they are under their feathers, wonderful insulation factor. But I do wonder if they get cold feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truer words were never spoken .... good ol' Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the doves look like they're all fluffed up trying to stay warm. I've had more visitors to my feeders over the last few days......I love to watch them. Mary sure was a smart lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard on the news that the birds don't feel the cold the way we do, I hope not, poor things. Makes you wonder how they can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor little birds!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.