A blog about my interests, which include crazy quilting and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Today, for your cooking pleasure....

Because of  the ongoing attempt to get our wayward recipe collection into some semblance of order, I thought I'd share a few with you.  The first one is what we had for supper tonight and I must say it's a keeper!

VEGETABLE SOUP
1 head cabbage, cut into 1" wedges
2 carrots, peeled & sliced
3 small turnips (or one larger), cubed
2 ribs celery, sliced
8 c. beef stock 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
3 T. veg. oil
2 large onions, cut into 1/4" slices
1 - 2 garlic cloves, fine chopped
1 large potato, cubed
Combine 6 c. of stock, cabbage, celery, carrots & turnips.  Bring to simmer and add tomato paste, salt, & some pepper to taste.  Simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hours.  In the meantime saute onions until soft, about 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for a further minute.  Set aside.  Add onion mixture & potatoes to the simmered veggies.  Add remaining stock.  Add enough water to cover.  Simmer for another 30 mins.  Serve topped with sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped dill.


SLOW COOKER CRANBERRY CHICKEN
 4 - 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
8 oz. of either Catalina or Russian dressing
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
Arrange chicken in crockpot.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours until chicken is well done.

3 comments:

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

The recipes sound good, but I have a ham hock in the fridge, so I think that I need to make some Navy Bean soup this weekend. I'll keep your veggie soup in mind though!

~*~Patty S said...

Your Vegie Soup recipe sure looks tasty Mary Anne!
Thanks so much for sharing...soup weather is definitely upon us ...
oxo

liniecat said...

Yummmmy chicken recipe! I must use my slow cooker more lol