MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A finished UFO

Still working on sewing the purse together and hope to have it finished tomorrow.  In the meantime, I did finish this project...


This one is really simple to do...the base is recycled rug canvas.  I cut strips of cotton fabrics approx. three quarters of an inch wide and, using a big-eyed needle, wove them through the canvas.  In the end, with a little stitching with the machine, I ended up with a nice journal cover.  Cheap, cheerful, and easy!  Unfortunately, I have NO earthly idea where I got the idea from in the first place so I can`t give proper credit.  If you happen to know, I would appreciate a comment so I can put it on this post.

It`s gone back to being hot here, at least for a couple of days.  Had a massive thunder storm last night...great lightning show (almost continuous) with the accompanying thunder.  It lasted for almost an hour so made it hard to sleep.  I`m not bothered by thunder storms, but constant lightning tends to keep me awake!

EDITED TO ADD:  Please be sure to read the comment on this post that Boud made - she knows EXACTLY where the pattern idea came from!!  

9 comments:

  1. Somewhere back in the early medieval period, a peasant lady had a bit of fishing net and burlap, left over from making her snazzy best dress, and thought, hm, big holes in net, can weaveth burlap through this, lemme get a bit of woad for blue and crush a few berries for red, and color up the leftover strips and weaveth them through,and voila! a lovely booke cover. Gutenberg better get cracking and invent the printing press, though, or this will be a big blank...oh, no, I can maketh pages of leftover lambskin and painteth and draweth in it with the leftover woad and berries. So she dideth.

    And that's the origin of your lovely journal cover, which is making me want to make one, dangit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat. I never thought of using rug canvas to weave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great stash buster. Thanks for sharing it. Loveth the papyrus covereth. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Boud's comment...continuation of the story...MA one day had a visit from the peasant lady's muse...in MA's ear she whispered the story of weaving the fabrics into a cloth. MA having many scraps of fabric, some of them quite grand fabrics, knew she could weave a cloth that would amaze and delight her blog readers...so she dideth.
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book cover. I have been thinking a lot about handweaving. I have thought about burlap and I know I'm going to give it a try.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is gorgeous.....love the colours....book book book book book....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it and now I need to do something similar with my scraps. You're inspiring me!!! Well maybe for not quite now, but I'll file it away for future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:09 PM

    Hey MA..so glad to see you finally finished it! Didn't take too long.. just a few years! LOL Looks good.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that Boud is so funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.