MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Internet connections

No picture again today, because it's been another of those non-creative days. I've been considering this post for awhile, so here goes.....
-------------------------------------------
I've been wanting to comment on how the internet has affected my life - especially the blogging world. I began this blog awhile ago at the urging of a friend. I did not want a blog; I did not want to be responsible; I didn't know what to write about; and all sorts of other excuses I can't remember now. She bullied me into it (and, after all that work on her part, she has subsequently quit blogging herself!).

Initially my blog for for myself alone. I never expected anybody to read it (with the possible exception of my kids and then only when I told them they had to). Suddenly I'm finding myself with readers - and more than one or two at that! How did that happen? What have I managed to find to blather on about that could possibly be of interest to anyone out there in the 'net world? It never ceases to amaze me.

I used (and continue to use) my blog mainly as a form of responsibility to myself. I try to do projects in order to have something to put up as a picture and/or post. It keeps me producing things because I know I 'need' to make that post every day, or as close to every day as I can manage.

Suddenly one person began reading, and commenting! I was blown away. This person wasn't a personal friend (who felt a certain amount of responsibility to read just because of the friendship). No, this was a complete stranger who felt moved to announce their presence and, wonder of wonders, kept coming back. Wow.

Then more people started making the odd comment and I got one of those sidebar 'things' that tells me where people are visiting from. Wow again. I've even discovered other blogs have posted links about me and people are coming and visiting from all over the world. Mind boggling!

I reached the milestone of a hundred posts, then two hundred and now I'm nearing a thousand. Who would have ever thought that would happen - certainly not moi!

There is another aspect to blogging that is the most exciting of all, and that is my being able to 'meet' other bloggers and start to share a bit in their lives and admire their art from a distance. I've taken part in some swaps and received some pretty awe-some pieces in exchange for something I have made. I've done some round robins with people I have met over the web. I've even won a few blog draws along the way.

I never cease to be amazed and humbled by the generosity of other bloggers. Just this week I received a wonderful handmade card (and atc) from one blogger and a package of ephemera from another. Another is sending me some art supplies to play with and another sent me that lovely doll head you saw a few posts ago. They send these things from the goodness of their hearts and expect nothing in return. It's amazing the community that can be built with people whom you've never met in person but feel that you've known over a cup of tea and cookies in your own kitchen. I never would have imagined what has come out of my little bitty blog!

It's a pretty wonderful community I've found and I'm SO glad I jumped in and began this journey. Here's to the future!
------------------------------------------------
And, yes, there will be a giveaway when I reach that 1000th post (probably sometime in the new year)

11 comments:

  1. nearly 1000? WOW! if not for the interwbs, i never would have had the pleasure of finding my SIS :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure glad to have found you thru the web, MA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I found you too MA! Your kindness has helped me more than you will know! And I see that you've posted another sinful recipe! I'll be trying that one too!

    Yes, I enjoy your blog, your photos and your writings. What a nice way to meet other people with common interests!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree with all that you have said MA and to have discovered that we have so much in common is amazing.
    Long may blogland continue and the friendships keep growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it exactly. The same thing happened to me. I had no idea of connecting with anyone except my family. I am at 948 posts so we must have started blogging at about the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, me too. Everything you said - except for the number of posts. Not there yet. Amazing what this technology allows us to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blogosphere is so amazing. "Meeting" and sharing with other from far away is fun, and even more when we can actually meet.
    I hope we can go on reading you for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:19 PM

    I am your faithful reader! I love to see your projects just to see what we will be getting to touch and ogle in real life at our next get-together!
    Mrs Noofy

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1000 posts! that's amazing MA! I'm not at 200 yet, but I'm getting there. Yes, it makes ones heart feel good to know there are so many good people out there doesn't it. I'm glad I found you through the web.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats my friend..what happened? you write a lovely blog and dropped down a hole???

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my second attempt to post here MA, blogger didn't like the first one, LOL. I'm not sure what I'd be doing now if I hadn't found the web and all my new "friends" there. Probably a lot more sewing, but then I doubt I'd be so informed, entertained and enjoying this phase of my life. Who else would listen to me vent, crow about grandkids and share my life better than internet friends? I enjoy your blog along with several others here, and hope you continue for a long time, I know I probably will. I just have trouble keeping a regular schedule just now, but things will improve soon.
    Hooroo,
    Christine from Sydney Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.