OK Arlee...I'm accepting the challenge and will see what I can create with all my rust experiments! It's going to be totally outside my realm of comfort, I can tell you that, but I'm really excited about it.
We were away for the weekend, so I apologize for the no-post on Saturday. While we were away I left another 'experiment' cooking out in the sunroom. This time I tore apart a steel wool pad and included it with my other rusty bits when I rolled the fabric up. Dosed the whole thing with vinegar and left it. When I checked it this morning and unrolled the fabric I was totally amazed to discover the entire steel wool 'bits' had totally disinitigrated and there wasn't a trace of it left! Wow. Now I gotta root through the garage and see if I can find some more for the next piece.
The picture today is of what I saw when I first looked at it this morning. I couldn't believe the pattern that was left in the plastic container, never mind what the fabric looked like! This is way cool and I'm planning to use the pictures I took in my wallhanging...somehow. This whole process is exciting!!